The Specializing Master in Design for Public Spaces from POLI.design - Milan (Italy) is proposed to train professionals to be able to develop projects of scenarios, processes and forms of open spaces, symbolic places in which the community can recognize itself.
We are experiencing an unprecedented moment of urban and demographic growth and cities are facing important social, economic and cultural issues. We deal with the challenge of shaping spaces that respond to new collective needs and offer multiple opportunities for use. What is nowadays required is an increasingly marked flexibility: once the character of specialized places is lost, cities are asked to adapt to an ever wider number of activities: exhibitions, spectacular events, markets, parties, political events. These are places where the private and collective dimensions have to learn somehow know how to coexist.
The designer of the Public Space operates on non-built areas such as squares, streets, parks, roundabouts and other undefined urban voids, taking into consideration both the container (the built form) and the content (the uses, even temporary). The design of Public Spaces requires a complex design approach, capable of combining different factors: from the urban configuration to its role in civil life, from existing participatory processes to the processes of use that are established. The Master offers analysis tools, scenario generation and innovative concepts; develops skills in managing processes and relationships with all the players involved; deals with project cases “in the field” in which one is confronted with real stakeholders and clients. The training activity will be based on the adoption of two observation methods, two different though complementary views: one addressed to the temporary city and the other to the contemporary city. One more interested in short-term transformations and the other in deeper changes: both, however, aimed at putting the many questions of use coming from society and its new social actors at the center of these changes.
The program allows students to qualify to work in the private and public sector, both as freelance consultants and as integrated in complex organizations such as:
- architectural firms, engineering companies, urban infrastructure design companies
- companies operating in the production of materials, furnishings, equipment for outdoor spaces
- agencies operating in the development of strategies for communication and urban marketing
- agencies operating in the sector of cultural enhancement or organization of events
- companies operating in the redevelopment and enhancement of abandoned tertiary and commercial industrial areas
- public administrations acting as managers of public works and urban furniture
- associations and non-profit organizations that operate internationally in urban regeneration processes or in developing contexts.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Contemporary Urban Interior Design
- Fundamentals of Public Space
- Furniture and equipment, materials and new technologies for public space
- Public space and participation: processes and methods
- Temporary settings: events and communication for public space
- Public Space Management: procedures, regulations and challenges
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- for Italian / foreign citizens with a qualification obtained in Italy within 27 September
- for Extra U.E. citizens within 27 August
DisciplinesDesign Interior Design Landscape Architecture View 8 other Masters in Interior Design in Italy
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The Specializing Master is reserved for candidates who have a Degree in Interior Design, Architecture, Interior Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Scenography, Fine Arts.
- For foreign applicants, equivalent qualifications in their respective studies will be considered.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA12500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Milano
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
This programme is taught in different countries. Which country are you interested in?
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.