On this applied course, you’ll learn the fundamentals of using geospatial data for real-world solutions through a combination of practical work and background theory. You'll use the same software tools employed by professionals in the field, and find out how to apply practical GIS skills in a range of contexts.
The course covers all the essential areas of geospatial data analysis, including GIS, remote sensing and Earth observation, geodatabases, programming, and field techniques. You'll analyse spatial data through your own project work and build on your previous studies and work experience, applying data analysis methods and software tools to help solve real world problems.
Once you graduate, you'll be well placed to pursue a career as a GIS and remote sensing specialist. Our graduates have gone on to enjoy careers in local and national government, healthcare, environment and conservation, construction, energy, transport, heritage, space and satellite technology, and university-based research.
- Get hands-on experience of using Geographical Information (GI) instruments and emerging technologies, including GPS, Total Stations and 3D laser scanners
- Learn from experts with extensive industrial and consultancy experience and strong research portfolios
- Practise your GIS data collection skills, both in the field and in our GIS and remote sensing laboratory with its own dedicated GIS technical team
- Take part in three-days of fieldwork data collection at a National Trust conservation site with the processed data shared with the Trust to help inform their management practices
- Use licensed industry-standard software (Esri ArcGIS, ERDAS Imagine), processing techniques and datasets
- Learn image processing and spatial analysis techniques, including programming for GIS and remote sensing applications
- Complete a research project on a GIS topic of your choice, applying the principles of research design, data collection and analysis
- Hear from guest industry speakers including GIS and remote sensing analysts, town and city planners, digital cartographers, coastal managers who use GIS, and representatives of the space and satellite technology sector
Careers and opportunities
Once you complete this MSc Geographical Information Systems degree, you'll be able to apply your lab and field experience in small and medium-sized enterprises, global businesses or non-governmental organisations (NGOs). Alternatively, you could apply to do a postgraduate research degree in physical and human geography or earth and environmental sciences.
You'll use industry-standard software, and learn processing techniques, programming and database skills that employers are typically looking for in prospective employees.
Each year we organise a programme of guest speakers from industry to talk about their work, new developments in their field, careers paths and opportunities.
Graduates of this course have gone into areas such as:
- Environmental protection
- Surveying and statistics
- Civil engineering
- Retail and hospitality
- Local and national government
- International charities
- Non-governmental organisations (NGOs)
- The NHS
- Banking, finance and insurance
- Transport planning
- Coastal management
- Space and satellite technology
- Software development
Graduates of this course have gone onto roles such as:
- Geographical information system consultant
- GIS and data analyst
- Location planning analyst
- GIS technician
- Software development engineer
- Spatial analyst
- Remote sensing analyst
Graduates of this course have gone on to work for companies such as:
- South East Water
- Engenie Ltd
- Dominos Pizza Group
- Transport for London
- East Sussex County Council
- RPS Group
- Tunbridge Wells Borough Council
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Applied Geographic Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing
- GIS and Database Management Systems
- Principles of Geographic Information System
- Research Skills and Project
- Sustainable Blue Economy
- Terrain Evaluation and Natural Hazards
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesGeography Geology Geographical Information Systems (GIS) View 74 other Masters in Geology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Portsmouth and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A second-class honours degree or equivalent in Geography, Geology, Earth Science, Applied Geology, Civil Engineering, Environmental Science or a related discipline. Professional experience in a relevant area and other qualifications may be taken into consideration for applicants not meeting this requirement.
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.