You will develop the or an ability to deploy research strategies and methods in an appropriately advanced fashion to critically evaluate current research and advanced scholarship. Each study route aims to provide advanced knowledge and understanding of the dynamics, including cultural and local political and ideological factors, which shape the contemporary international relations of the area.
The International Relations (European) MA course offered by Durham University also provides an opportunity for studying international relations in comparative and historical perspective taking account of regional specific political and economic factors.
At the beginning of the academic year, you will go through five-day induction events in which you are informed about University, the School, the MA/MSc degrees and the facilities available for their learning.
The 180 credits one-year MA degree is divided into two core and two optional modules of 30 credits each. Furthermore, you will have to submit a dissertation of 60 credits of not more than 12,000 words. Most of the modules are delivered during the first two terms and you will spend the remaining time writing your dissertation.
- International Theory OR International Organisations
- Debating the European Union
You can choose two options (may include the following):
- Core Concepts in Political Science
- Designing Political Inquiry
- Global Governance
- Global Political Theory
- The Politics of East Asia
- International Politics of the Middle East
- Ideologies and Political Thought
- Contemporary Political Philosophy
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesInternational Relations European Studies View 550 other Masters in International Relations in United Kingdom
Subject requirements, level and grade
- UK 2.1 Bachelor degree, or equivalent.
- A degree in the field of Social Sciences is preferable, however, in assessing the application we also take into account other facilitating factors such as relevant such as relevant experience in lieu of this requirement.
- Two satisfactory academic references. In cases of applicants who have significant relevant experience, one work-related reference and one academic reference would be considered appropriate.
International22500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home/Island Student: £9,250.00 per year
- International non-EU/EU Student: £22,500 per year
Living costs for Durham
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.