The programme is designed in such a manner that the students get sensitized for the similarities and differences in the region between Slovenia, Austria, and Hungary. There is a strong emphasis on interlingual (German-Slovene) and intercultural relations.Qualification awarded: Master of Intercultural German Studies. The acquired knowledge and skills represent the foundation for further (specialised) studies on the 3rd level of education in the field of German studies or comparable disciplines in the field humanities (Linguistics, Literary Science, Cultural Studies etc.)The main general competences achieved by graduates are:
- the ability of knowledge accumulation and its use;
- the ability to critically analyse scientific information;
- the ability to observe, analyse, synthesize, and critically evaluate;
- the ability to work individually and in teams;
- the ability to solve professional work problems, based on the use of scientific methods;
- usage of modern information technology in work organization and problem solving;
- preparation for life-long professional learning;
- scientific and professional oral and written skills;
- project management and supervision; and
- personal integrity and ability to work in accordance with professional ethics.
- understanding of basic methods and concepts of interculturalism and their significance for the analysis of inerlingual and intercultural contacts;
- a deepened knowledge and understanding of the specific role of language and literature in popular culture;
- the ability to produce coherent practical-communicative texts in German language in connection with the understanding and knowledge of contrastive textology;
- knowledge of the rules of effective oral communication in German language in connection with the understanding and knowledge of discourse analysis;
- a deepened knowledge of the following areas of literature in intercultural dialogue: regionalism in German literature of contact zones, transculturality in the 20th century literature in German speaking countries, literary studies and interculturality;
- understanding and a practical analysis of the phenomenon of multilingualism and of the characteristics of language contact;
- deepened knowledge and understanding of the field of lexicography from the point of view of interculturality aswell as the understanding of interculturality in specialised communication;
- insight into the functioning of various institutions from the field of economy, administration and culture, first work experiences; and
- basic knowledge of Hungarian history and culture orunderstanding and recognizing the role and characteristics of Slovene dialects in contact areas aswell as intercultural phenomena in Slovene literary production.
Year 1: 1st Semester
- Introduction into Intercultural Literary Science (3)
- German Language: Intercultural View (3)
- Language and Literature in Popular Culture (3)
- Contrastive Textology (3)
- Creating Written Texts (3)
Year 1: 2nd Semester
- Regionalism in German Literature of Contact Spaces (3)
- Transculturality in the 20th Century Literature in German Speaking Countries (3)
- Literary Studies and Interculturality (3)
- Contrastive Discourse Analysis (3)
- Oral Text Formation (3)
Year 2: 3rd Semester
- Multilingualism and Language Contacts (3)
- Dictionary and Cultural Practice (3)
- Intercultural Specialised Communication (3)
- Practical Training (6)
Year 2: 4th Semester
- Elective course/module (6): Cultural and Literary Markets (6) OR Slovene Language and Literature in the Region module (6)*
- Master’s Thesis (9)
*Slovene Language and Literature in the Region module (6): Slovene Dialects in Contact (3) and Interculturality in Modern Slovene Literature (3)
More informationVisit official programme website
Detailed programme structure is available under "Overview".
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
Candidates apply in 2 application periods. However, in the 2nd, they may apply only for programmes still having vacancies that the faculty decides to fill.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Literature View 6 other Masters in Literature in Slovenia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Please find detailed admission requirements at the following link: https://www.um.si/studij/podiplomski-studij/Documents/FF_EN_20-21.pdf (pages 5-7).
The Call for Application into Postgraduate Study Programmes of the University of Maribor for the 2020/2021 Academic Year is available at https://www.um.si/en/Study/about/Pages/call-for-enrolment-postgraduate-2020-21.aspx.
International2980 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2980 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Tuition also applies to all Slovene/EU students who have already obtained an education corresponding to master’s degree.
Full-time students from Slovenia and other EU countries, and full-time students from non-EU countries who are granted international protection, applicants for international protection and persons from countries with which Slovenia has concluded bilateral agreement (i.e. North Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, B&H, and Serbia) pay NO TUITION FEE (except the part for studying in English, if applicable) if they have not already obtained an education corresponding to master's degree.
You may find scholarship opportunities offered by the Public Scholarship, Development, Disability and Maintenance Fund of the RS at the following website: http://www.sklad-kadri.si/en/calls-for-applications-and-news/calls-for-applications.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.