- Graduates of this programme are more than ever equipped with theoretical knowledge and skills for independent scientific research which enables them to continue their studies at the PhD level, however, at the same time their knowledge is in accordance with the guidelines of the Lisbon strategy of the EU, allowing them a wide range of employment possibilities in enterprises and institutions, namely employment and creative work in all types of Slovenian enterprises and companies (small and medium) as well as in the media, cultural institutions, publishing, administrative structures, service companies, and tourism.
- The study programme offers in-depth knowledge in the fields of linguistics, literature, and culture of English speaking countries. An important focus of the programme is to obtain knowledge in the field of English studies by contrasting English with Slovene as the mother tongue of the majority of students, and, where possible, also with other languages. The programme offers skills for professional profiles that require in-depth specific knowledge in the field of communication in English, and students are trained for the appropriateness of the use of English in the context of register depending on the medium, mode, and type of the text. The conveyed knowledge is based on contemporary linguistic achievements and cultural specifics contributing to the importance of language.
- The study programme trains students to meet the needs of public service and the economy in the field of communications of the existing globalised world as well as the needs of international cooperation and the free market. To access foreign markets, it is not enough to be recognized, but it is also necessary to be convincing. Graduates are trained for such situations, namely they are able to take account of all possible aspects of interpretation of texts, to make them work and communicate them as effectively as possible. They are also trained for public speaking and representation in different circumstances, also in relation to the economy (e.g., Organizational Communication in Business and Society, Discourse Analysis, preparation of projects, etc.). The choice of elective courses enables students to combine English with contents offered by schools of economics and business or the Faculty of Law which provides suitability for representation of Slovenian companies and organizations home and abroad.
Year 1: 1st Semester
- Modality in English (6)
- English Lexicology (3)
- Introduction to Stylistics (3)
- Modern English Poetry (3)
Year 1: 2nd Semester
- Theory of Language (3)
- Current Trends in Linguistics OR Psycholinguistics with an Introduction to Bilingualism (3)
- Studies in a Major Author (3)
- British Drama (3)
- The Use of English in Social and Global Contexts OR Organizational Communication in Business and Society (3)
Year 2: 3rd Semester
- Discourse Analysis (6)
- Language Awareness II (3)
- Critical Approaches and the Modern Novel (6)
Year 2: 4th Semester
- Manuscript Editing and Publication (3)
- Short Prose in English OR Canadian Literature (3)
- Master’s Seminar (3)
- Master’s Thesis (6)
More informationVisit official programme website
Detailed programme structure is available under "Overview".
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
Candidates apply in 2 application periods. However, in the 2nd, they may apply only for programmes still having vacancies that the faculty decides to fill.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Please find detailed admission requirements at the following link: https://www.um.si/studij/podiplomski-studij/Documents/FF_EN_20-21.pdf (pages 9-10).
The Call for Application into Postgraduate Study Programmes of the University of Maribor for the 2020/2021 Academic Year is available at https://www.um.si/en/Study/about/Pages/call-for-enrolment-postgraduate-2020-21.aspx.
Full-time students from Slovenia and other EU countries, and full-time students from non-EU countries who are granted international protection, applicants for international protection and persons from countries with which Slovenia has concluded bilateral agreement (i.e. North Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, B&H, and Serbia) pay NO TUITION FEE (except the part for studying in English, if applicable) if they have not already obtained an education corresponding to master's degree.
You may find scholarship opportunities offered by the Public Scholarship, Development, Disability and Maintenance Fund of the RS at the following website: http://www.sklad-kadri.si/en/calls-for-applications-and-news/calls-for-applications.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.