The programme takes into account all modern pedagogical-psychological, scientific, and artistic knowledge in all areas of expertise and contributes immensely to the development of competencies of future preschool educators. Fundamental goals of the programme are:
The fundamental goal of the programme is to educate graduates to:
- be equipped with all necessary general and specific knowledge, abilities and capabilities for the role of a professional preschool teacher, management stuff or researcher in preschool education;
- be creative in solving problems which occur in different complex and unpredictable situations that arise in the educational system;
- be capable of supporting didactic decisions and procedures with rational, professional, and well-researched arguments; and
- develop the preschool education field and to improve possibilities of employment because of knowledge and competences acquired during study.
- deeper ability to solve concrete pedagogical problems with the use of scientific methods and procedures;
- coherent command of fundamental knowledge and ability to apply the knowledge to other bordering professions, scientific fields and suitable applications;
- ability to include new information and interpretations within the context of education;
- possessing a complete understanding of the general structure of education as well as connections to its sub-disciplines (curricular theories, special pedagogical knowledge, etc)
- deeper understanding and use of critical analysis methods, the development of theories, and their use in solving concrete pedagogical problems;
- development of practical skills and routines in using knowledge in the field of education;
- effective use of information and communication technologies and systems in the field of education;
- deeper knowledge and understanding of developmental characteristics, differences and needs of children, recognizing learning abilities and difficulties, as well as a complete understanding of children;
- organization and leadership abilities and skills with proficiency in education;
- knowledge and understanding of social systems, especially educational processes;
- knowledge and understanding of institutional work (demands, legislation, documentation requirements, and the legal point of view of educational work);
- ability to be esthetically sensitive for the purpose of active and creative work in the fields of art;
- thorough knowledge and understanding of the didactic characteristics of early learning and teaching, and being able to help in the educational leadership of individual groups and/or departments;
- ability to adjust teaching strategies and to teach according to the individual, social, linguistic and cultural characteristics of students; and
- creating stimulating learning atmospheres and mutual relations, display an ability to effectively solve problems.
Year 1: 1st Semester
- Methods of Qualitative and Quantitative Pedagogical Research (5)
- Professional Development and Evaluation in Preschool Education (6)
- Learning and Personality Development of Pre-School Children (5)
- Quality and the Development of the Preschool (5)
- Legal Issues of Work with Children in Early Childhood (5)
- Elective course 1 (4)
- Investigating of Child’s Development (4)
- Monitoring Motor Development (4)
- Psychological Effects of Music on a Preschool Child (4)
- Stress in Preschool Child and the Role of Adults (4)
- Peer Relations (4)
- Emergencies of Children in Early Childhood (4)
Year 1: 2nd Semester
- Musical and Dance Recreation and Creation (6)
- Visual Art and Drama Activities (6)
- Slovenian Language and Literature in Preschool Education (5)
- Research in Motor Behaviour (3)
- Research in the Field of Elementary Science (3)
- Early Mathematics’ Approaches (3)
- Elective course 2 (4)
- Methods of Management in Education (4)
- ICT Support for Education (4)
- Systems of Quality and Excellence Management (4)
- Interculturality in Preschool Education (4)
- Education for Sustainable Development (4)
Year 2: 3rd Semester
- Management of Preschool Institutions (3)
- Rhetoric and Communication (3)
- Contemporary Social Sciences and Ethics in Preschool Education (6)
- Early Intervention and Involvement of Parents (5)
- English for Pre-School Teachers (4)
- Project-Based Learning in Pre-School (9)
Year 2: 4th Semester
- Elective course 3 – group A (5)
- Elective course 4 – group B (5)
- Master seminar (5)
- Master’s Thesis (15)
Group A electives:
- Pedagogic Research in Art Didactics (5)
- Family and the Art of Music (5)
- Early Learning and Education about Traffic Safety (5)
- Projects with Puppets in Nursery and Primary School (5)
- Mathematical Manipulatives in Early Learning (5)
- Monitoring Outdoor Sport Activities (5)
- Literary and Visual Characteristics of a Picture Book (5)
- An Integrated Approach to Foreign Language Learning in Early Childhood (5)
- Astronomy in Preschool Education (5)
- Active Learning in Natural Environment (5)
- Cognitive Didactic Games for Development of Creativity (5)
- Strategies for Developing Visual Literacy (5)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Detailed programme structure is available under "Overview".
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
Candidates apply in 2 application periods. However, in the 2nd, they may apply only for programmes still having vacancies that the faculty decides to fill.
DisciplinesTeaching Early Childhood Education View 10 other Masters in Teaching in Slovenia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Please find detailed admission requirements at the following link: https://www.um.si/studij/podiplomski-studij/Documents/PEF_EN_20-21.pdf (pages 3-4).
The Call for Application into Postgraduate Study Programmes of the University of Maribor for the 2020/2021 Academic Year is available at https://www.um.si/en/Study/about/Pages/call-for-enrolment-postgraduate-2020-21.aspx.
International2655 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5310 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2655 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5310 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
You may find scholarship opportunities offered by the Public Scholarship, Development, Disability and Maintenance Fund of the RS at the following website: http://www.sklad-kadri.si/en/calls-for-applications-and-news/calls-for-applications/.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.