To be able to work professionally, teachers of geography require extensive teacher-reflective and research-based knowledge of the subject and teaching. Moreover, they need the repertoire of verified forms and methods when it comes to the practical application of knowledge. The essential characteristics (qualities) of a professional teacher are professional autonomy, competence, and ability to act as a critical intellectual.
The study programme consists of the geographic study courses which are aimed at becoming familiar with different spatial units - from the local, regional, continental levels to the global level. Moreover, the study programme also consists of the study courses covering pedagogical, didactic, and psychological areas within which students acquire theoretical and practical knowledge about education and teaching geography as a profession.Students acquire the following general competencies with the programme:
- ability to transfer theoretical knowledge into practice, evaluate their own practice and create new theoretical/didactical concepts;
- ability to find and create new sources of knowledge;
- ability to create learning materials and simple learning models;
- ability to use and develop scientific methods;
- ability to communicate within the discipline and between other disciplines in the domestic and international arena;
- professional criticism, responsibility and initiative;
- ability to manage educational projects and professional organizations;
- ability to build teamwork;
- ability to design and maintain the concept of lifelong learning;
- ability to reflect ethically and build standards of professional ethics;
- ability to develop different types of skills with regard to the personal and interpersonal communication (written, verbal, graphic, etc.);
- ability to participate in the modernization and development of the school curriculum and be involved in research and development activities, which are organized at the school, local, national, and international level; and
- ability to understand sports and physical activity as the basis of a healthy lifestyle.
Year 1: 1st Semester
- Pedagogy (1,5)
- Didactics (2,5)
- Psychology of Learning and Development (2,5)
- Work with Children with Special Needs (1,5)
- Interdisciplinary Observer Practice (1)
- Didactics of Geography 1 (3)
- ICT at Geography Lessons (3)
Year 1: 2nd Semester
- Elective teacher-training course 1 (1,5)
- Elective teacher-training course 2 (1,5)
- Didactics of Geography 2 (5)
- Teaching Experience Geography 1 (3)
- Regional Geography of North-America and Australia (4)
Elective teacher-training courses:
- English for Academic Purposes (3)
- Professional Development of Teachers (3)
- Authentic Forms of Knowledge Assessment (3)
- Learning of Language and Communication in the Classroom (3)
- Ethical Issues in Education (3)
- Outdoor Learning (3)
- Supervision and Group Process in Education (3)
- Multimedia (3)
- Games in Teaching (3)
- Multilingualism in the School (3)
- Alternative Pedagogical Concepts (3)
- Discipline in Contemporary School (3)
- Badminton and Fitness (3)
- Volleyball and Aerobic Exercise (3)
- Professional Language in School (3)
Year 2: 3rd Semester
- Didactics of Geography 3 (3)
- Regional Geography of Asia (4)
- Regional Geography of Africa (4)
- Regional Geography of Latin America (4)
Year 2: 4th Semester
- Teaching Experience Geography 2 (4)
- Elective geographical course (3)
- Master’s Seminar and Master’s Thesis (8)
Elective Geography courses:
- Field Work in the Physical Geography (3)
- Field Work in the Human Geography (3)
- Climate Changes (3)
- Environmental Degradation and Sustainable Systems (3)
- Globalisation (3)
More informationVisit official programme website
Detailed programme structure is available under "Overview".
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
Candidates apply in 2 application periods. However, in the 2nd, they may apply only for programmes still having vacancies that the faculty decides to fill.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Please find detailed admission requirements at the following link: https://www.um.si/studij/podiplomski-studij/Documents/FF_EN_20-21.pdf (pages 20-21).
The Call for Application into Postgraduate Study Programmes of the University of Maribor for the 2020/2021 Academic Year is available at https://www.um.si/en/Study/about/Pages/call-for-enrolment-postgraduate-2020-21.aspx.
Full-time students from Slovenia and other EU countries, and full-time students from non-EU countries who are granted international protection, applicants for international protection and persons from countries with which Slovenia has concluded bilateral agreement (i.e. North Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, B&H, and Serbia) pay NO TUITION FEE (except the part for studying in English, if applicable) if they have not already obtained an education corresponding to master's degree.
You may find scholarship opportunities offered by the Public Scholarship, Development, Disability and Maintenance Fund of the RS at the following website: http://www.sklad-kadri.si/en/calls-for-applications-and-news/calls-for-applications.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.