The study programme enables graduates to plan and perform work on a broad field of culturology sciences and practice connected to language and literature, i.e. in fields of literary history and linguistic, journalism, literary and linguistic critique, translating, literary publishing, reviewing, proofreading, the role of the Slovene language in the EU and professional research in the above mentioned fields.
Development of new linguistic and literary practices demand the need for a set of obligatory and selective courses, which prepare graduates for new approaches to language use analysis, offering him insights into specific forms of linguistic science, journalism, and advertising and offer broad view into Slovene literature in contact to the newest philosophic and sociology theories.
Students gain the following general competences:
- ability of functional use of the linguistic and literary historic scientific research methods;
- ability of analytic observation, synthesizing and predicting of the new solutions;
- autonomy in professional work;
- development of communication skills with emphasis on intercultural linguistic communication;
- thorough knowledge of the structure and principles of language functioning in contemporary society;
- ability of using knowledge in practice;
- qualification for searching new sources of knowledge on professional and scientific field;
- professional criticism, independence and responsibility in decision making;
- cooperation in team work; and
- committment to professional ethic.
- ability of connecting knowledge in field of linguistics and literature and their use in new applications;
- understanding of idea esthetic, motive thematic, genre and style shifts in contemporary Slovene;
- ability of comparing development of European And Slovene literature;
- ability of recognizing a quality literary work and judgment of its canonicity;
- ability of interpreting literature and establishing a critical relation to various other interpretations;
- understanding and recognizing thematic and motive transfers from the world to the Slovene literature and its actualization;
- ability of researching and learning theories of literary translation;
- ability of writing, proofreading and editing various genre texts;
- skill of interdisciplinary approach to analyzing of the contemporary linguistic situation;
- ability of autonomous work in the field of discourse analysis;
- understanding the interconnectedness in functioning of applied linguistic tools in different types of texts;
- functional use of disposable linguistic technologies in language analysis;
- adequate assessment of phenomena of multi linguistics and multiculturalism;
- adequate understanding the position of the Slovene language in intercultural linguistic communication;
- acquiring notion of language and literature as important components of citizenship awareness; and
- forming of adequate standpoints on citizenship education and Slovene Language as its fundamental ingredient.
Year 1: 1st Semester
- Literary Essayistic (3)
- Contemporary Slovene Novel (3)
- Eco-Criticism and Eco-Feminism (3)
- Elective course in Literature: Slovenian Children and Youth Literature (3) OR European Literary Canon (3)
- Elective course in Slovene Language: Orthographic and Ortoepic Normativity in Contemporary Slovene Language Texts (3) OR Theories of Language (3)
Year 1: 2nd Semester
- Slovene Language and Globalisation (3)
- Sociolinguistics (3)
- Slovene as a Second and Foreign Language in the European Union (3)
- Open elective courses (6)
Year 2: 3rd Semester
- Formation of Professional and Scientific Texts (4)
- Elective courses in Slovene Language 1 (4): Modern Ways of Communicating (4) OR Approach to Text (4)
- Elective courses in Literature 1 (7): Contemporary Slovenian Female Writers (3) OR Slovene Modern Movement and Viennese Modern Movement (3) OR Short Narrative Prose in Second Half of the 20th Century (4)
Year 2: 4th Semester
- Practical Stylistic (3)
- Slovene and South Slavic Languages (4)
- Master’s Thesis (8)
More informationVisit official programme website
Detailed programme structure is available under "Overview".
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
Candidates apply in 2 application periods. However, in the 2nd, they may apply only for programmes still having vacancies that the faculty decides to fill.
DisciplinesLanguages Literature Linguistics View 6 other Masters in Literature in Slovenia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Please find detailed admission requirements at the following link: https://www.um.si/studij/podiplomski-studij/Documents/FF_EN_20-21.pdf (pages 3-4).
The Call for Application into Postgraduate Study Programmes of the University of Maribor for the 2020/2021 Academic Year is available at https://www.um.si/en/Study/about/Pages/call-for-enrolment-postgraduate-2020-21.aspx.
International2980 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2980 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Tuition also applies to all Slovene/EU students who have already obtained an education corresponding to master’s degree.
Full-time students from Slovenia and other EU countries, and full-time students from non-EU countries who are granted international protection, applicants for international protection and persons from countries with which Slovenia has concluded bilateral agreement (i.e. North Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo, B&H, and Serbia) pay NO TUITION FEE (except the part for studying in English, if applicable) if they have not already obtained an education corresponding to master's degree.
You may find scholarship opportunities offered by the Public Scholarship, Development, Disability and Maintenance Fund of the RS at the following website: http://www.sklad-kadri.si/en/calls-for-applications-and-news/calls-for-applications.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.