The aim of the Lighting Design professional master's course at Wismar University - WINGS is to train lighting designers comprehensively. Students are encouraged to investigate artistic, physical and psychological aspects of lighting, using creative and autonomous methods. This is to be done while keeping both human well-being and the standards of sustainable architecture in mind.
The combination of ‘Lighting Design’ and ‘Design Management’ provides students with the creative and technical knowledge to manage lighting design projects as well as the economic and marketing aspects necessary to manage offices professionally. Students will understand market analysis tools and the strategic management approach. Design management also includes the vision of design as part of the customer value chain.
The highly regarded qualifications and skills gained through this degree, offer graduates the opportunity to work in many related fields.New specialisation and new curriculum
The specialisation “Heritage Lighting” will offer students the possibility to delve deeper into issues like lighting for heritage sites and buildings, lighting for protected sites, conservation, techniques and strategies for such sites and so on. Students will get the opportunity to opt for this specialisation from the 3rd Semester onwards and culminating in a Master's thesis on heritage lighting.
WINGS and the University of Wismar do not provide any scholarships. But we can assist you when you require help in obtaining.
The part time programme Master Lighting Design - Architectural Lighting and Design Management - was successfully accredited by the Central Evaluation and Accreditation Agency (ZEvA).
In addition, the master Professional Studies Lighting Design- Architectural Lighting and Design Management is approved by the State Centre for Distance Learning (ZFU).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Design Criteria
- Artificial Lighting
- Design Project: Conceptual Lighting Design
- Design Methods: Basics
- Lighting Applications and Sustainability
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Next course start: Autumn Semester
- Initiation session: November (online)
- First seminar week: beginning of January (participation mandatory)
DisciplinesElectrical Engineering Design Interior Design
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
First academic degree (Bachelor, Master or Diploma) in:
- Art and design study programmes like Architecture, Interior Architecture, Design or Theater Studies as well as one year of relevant professional work experience in field of lighting, design or design management after completing the first degree
- Engineering study programmes like Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Computer Science as well as two years of relevant professional work experience in field of lighting, design or design management after completing the first degree
- Business study programmes like Business Economics, Business Informatics or Economic Law as well as two years of relevant professional work experience in field of lighting, design or design management after completing the first degree
- In addition you please hand in a portofilio of work experience showing your abilities in lighting, design or design management.
International7800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3900 EUR per semester and a duration of 30 months.
EU/EEA7800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3900 EUR per semester and a duration of 30 months.
When registering for the winter semester 2020/21: Save 780 € in the 1st semester, due to the first workshop week taking place online in January 2021.
The state promotes your continuing education through individual tax incentives. Depending on your individual income and your professional situation, you can claim the expenses of the distance learning course as tax deductible professional expenses or special expenses so that receive total or partial reimbursement.
Financing by the Employer
Many enterprises support the continuing education of their employees by granting a leave of absence or financial support. Within the framework of individual agreements/ contracts there is the possibility to integrate your qualification aims into a personal development concept.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.