Sharpen your knowledge of economics and finance, and gain a deep insight into the financial services sector as you learn to interpret trends, identify market risks and assess public policy.
If you have some knowledge of statistics or quantitative methods our Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment (CISI) recognised course will help you to open doors to ambitious roles in the finance, banking, business and public sectors.
Rather than specialising in just one area, we'll make sure you gain an in depth overview of economics, finance and banking, and you'll graduate with a diverse and transferrable skill set.
You'll combine theory, research and data analysis to learn how to respond to real-world economic issues. You’ll develop the specialist knowledge, professional skills and forecasting techniques that'll make you a real asset to the financial services and banking sectors.
- Use our industry-standard Bloomberg terminals and software to access data from the world's global financial markets
- Earn your Bloomberg Market Concepts training certificate
- Benefit from a student membership to the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment (CISI), attend talks and network with industry professionals with the option to earn the internationally recognised a Certificate in Corporate Finance
- Combine theory, research and data analysis to respond to real-world economic issues
- Evaluate economic theories, principles and strategy, learn how to interpret trends and identify market risks, assess public policy arguments, and develop financial forecasting techniques
- Complete an independent research project, based on economic research in a topic of your choice
- Learn from teaching staff with rich research experience and strong industry knowledge
Careers and opportunitiesCareers this Master’s prepares you for
This comprehensive degree prepares you for a range of careers, giving you the knowledge, technical ability and networking opportunities that allow you the freedom to consider your career options as you study.
You could go on to work in the finance and banking sectors, business and commerce, industry, or the public sector. You'll be taught the methods, processes and technologies used by real-world industry experts.
As a student on this course you'll have a membership with the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment (CISI). You'll cover all the material needed to take the CISI Corporate Finance Technical Foundations paper and earn an internationally recognised Certificate in Corporate Finance. The CISI membership will also provide you with access to events, forums, webinars and an international network of 45,000 financial practitioners.
Graduates of this course have gone onto roles such as:
- Account Manager
- Financial Analyst
- Trader in financial assets
- Purchasing and Acquisitions Officer
- Commercial, Industrial or Public Sector Manager
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
What you'll study on this MSc Economics, Finance and Banking degree course
Core modules in this year include:
- Competition Policy and the Regulation of Markets – 15 credits
- Corporate Finance: Technical Foundations – 15 credits
- Econometric Modelling – 15 credits
- Financial Econometrics – 15 credits
- Financial Markets and Instruments – 15 credits
- International Banking, Financial Markets and Monetary Policy – 15 credits
- International Banking: Efficiency, Competition and Regulation – 15 credits
- Market Structure and Competition – 15 credits
- Personal Tutoring for Economics and Finance Postgraduate Programmes – 0 credits
- Research Methods and Dissertation – 60 credits
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesEconomics Finance Banking and Investment View 522 other Masters in Economics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Portsmouth and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
A second-class honours degree in a relevant or related subject, which includes some element of statistics or quantitative methods, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find Master's scholarship opportunities for Economics, Finance and Banking.
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.