About this Degree from Instituto Superior Técnico
Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering is fundamentally based on the design, construction and management of the operation of systems intended for the exploration of the sea, in its aspects of maritime transport, a source of living and mineral resources and also as a place for sport and leisure. As such, a naval engineer will be able to work in the design, construction, maintenance and management of all types of ships, vessels and floating structures.
Instituto Superior Técnico’s Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineers can work in shipyards for shipbuilding or ship repair, expert and inspection companies, state bodies linked to activities in the sea, maritime transport, naval industry and energy. They can also work for shipowners in commercial and fishing navies, in ship classification societies or in other inspection and certification companies. Among the activities they can develop, the following stand out:
- Design, maintenance and management of all types of ships and vessels;
- Inspection and inspection of ships and vessels;
- Development and management of floating structures and platforms;
- Administration of ports;
- Research and development (R&D);
- Marketing of products and equipment related to boats;
- Consulting and leadership, leadership and management functions;
- Professional training and education.
The study cycle reserves 12 ECTS for one of the three areas of specialization:
- Ship Design and Construction: directed towards the idealization of vessels and the study of the components of their components, materials and construction processes in shipyards.
- Maritime Transport and Ports: focused on maritime traffic, port organization and management, security and operation of this equipment.
- Ocean Systems: focused on the development of ocean platforms, floating structures and submarines.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArchitecture Marine Engineering View 4 other Masters in Marine Engineering in Portugal
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- hold a 1st cycle degree in Science and Technology (except in the case of the 2nd cycle in Architecture, which requires a 1st cycle degree in Architecture);
- hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that certifies their ability to do the MSc programme which they apply for.
Candidates are selected according to these criteria:
- affinity between the degree they hold and the programme they apply for;
- type of degree they hold;
- academic success in the programme they attended.
International7000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA1063 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1063 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.