Who is it for?
Developed in consultation with the national charity YoungMinds, this MSc in Child and Adolescent Mental Health (Contemporary Studies) from City, University of London will help you advance your career within services for children, young people, and their families and carers. It has been specifically developed for professionals from a variety of sectors, including:
- Social care
- Allied health professions
- The voluntary sector.
This MSc can prepare you for a fulfilling and rewarding career in child and adolescent mental health.
The Child & Adolescent Mental Health MSc will help you:
- Gain the skills, knowledge and awareness of child and adolescent psychological development.
- Promote child and adolescent mental health, identifying needs and recognising which therapeutic interventions are appropriate and why.
- Learn to provide collaborative and compassionate care and support for children and adolescents.
- Understand early identification, risk management and resilience.
- Develop your knowledge of assessment and evidence-based psychosocial interventions and contemporary issues in child and adolescent mental health.
- Enhance your ability to critically evaluate and reflect on your work or the work of others who care for individuals and families where there are significant concerns and vulnerability.
- Maintain the balance between working collaboratively while maintaining safe professional boundaries.
The course uses a sound evidence-base to prepare you for a career in a specialist workforce, where the development of ethical and culturally-sensitive practice and the placement of the child, young person and their carer are at the centre of decision-making and service re-design.
As a graduate of this programme, you will be able to influence the mental health of children and young people at both a direct and indirect level through the development of services and the application of inter-professional practice and research.
You will have gained a deep understanding and knowledge of child and adolescent mental health, enabling you to work effectively and collaboratively across professional agencies and boundaries.
Successful completion of the MSc fulfils the requirements for higher-grade, senior advanced practice posts in health and social care. It will also qualify you for research posts and to conduct independent research.
- Critical approaches to advanced practice
- Early Identification and Psychological Development
- Child Protection: Working with Risk & Resilience
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health: Therapeutic Approaches & The Evidence-Base
- Risk Assessment and Management across the life span
- Liaison Mental Health Care
- Professional Leadership
- Contemporary issues in mental health
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPsychology Health Sciences Clinical Psychology View 344 other Masters in Clinical Psychology in United Kingdom
- To apply for this course, you should have a lower second-class honours degree or the equivalent from an international institution.
- If you do not hold a degree, but have relevant employment experience in the health and social care sectors, your application may still be considered.
- You will need to provide two references (at least one reference for recent graduates must be academic, other references could include a current employer). You will need to provide the referees’ work contact details for us to contact the referee separately after we have received your application.
International14050 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14050 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11240 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11240 GBP per year during 12 months.
Full-time per year:
- UK: £11,240
- Overseas/EU: £14,050
Part-time per year:
- UK: £5,620
- Overseas/EU: £7,025
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.