MSc Wood Materials Science at University of Eastern Finland is a programme aims at training professionals who understand the entire chain from wood biomass production to product development and innovation management. It focuses on developing new products by combining wood with other materials and by creating novel materials and products from wood fibres. Our contemporary research is the basis for our teaching, which is developed in collaboration with the forest based industries.
Wood materials science is one of the branches in forest bioeconomy. In the coming years, the use of wood fibres is expected to increase especially in clothing and pharmaceutical industries and hand in hand grows the need for qualified professionals. Our graduates are amongst the most sought after experts in the field by national and international employers alike. As a graduate of MSc Wood Materials Science you will find job opportunities in, for example as technology specialists, researchers, and project managers in the development organisations and R&D departments of bio-based mechanical and chemical industry or energy cluster.
- Academic Skills in Forest Sciences
- Basics of Wood Materials Science
- Industrial Biotechnology and Biorefining
- Information Skills and Sources in Science and Forestry for International Students
- Innovation Management
- Laboratory Practices and Methods for Wood Materials Science
- Master’s Thesis
- Organic and Biomass Chemistry
- Perspectives to Bioeconomy
- Practical Training in Wood Materials Science
- Research Methodology in Forest Sciences
- Structure and Function of Plants
- Structure and Properties of Wood-based Materials
- Thesis Seminar I in Wood Materials Science
- Thesis Seminar II in Wood Materials Science
- Wood-Based Solid and Composite Materials
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Chemistry Forestry View 22 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in Finland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- We welcome people talented and enthusiastic people, both domestic and international, from all around the world to apply. The minimum eligibility criteria are Bachelor of Science, or equivalent, degree in e.g. chemistry, biosciences/life sciences, biotechnology, forest sciences, suitable engineering studies, applied physics, bioeconomy or forest products marketing.
International8000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Joensuu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.