This English Local History and Family History prorgamme offered at the University of Leicester course is run by our internationally acclaimed Centre for English Local History (ELH), established in 1948. Our research centre advances the study of academic local history across England and Wales. You will study in-depth the interaction between society, families and landscape and use comparative methods to test hypotheses and interpretations, which might include comparisons with places outside of the British Isles. Studying this pathway will allow you to explore a variety of topics including regional identities, society and landscape, historical ecology, family and community history, and cultural regions.The course will allow you to expand and deepen your historical knowledge and develop advanced research skills. We have a very strong tradition of pioneering fresh approaches in History from the local to the global. With over thirty research historians working in various fields, we offer expert supervision and a wealth of options. If you choose the Local History specialist pathway of our History MA, your degree certificate will read 'MA History (Local History)'. Alternatively you can opt for one of the other pathways or the standard History MA:
- History (Urban History) MA
- History (Holocaust and Genocide Studies) MA
- History MA
Careers and employabilityOur MA course will offer you a strong competitive advantage and career choices and your future salary can be considerably enhanced by postgraduate qualifications.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Field Course
- Family History
- Medieval Landscapes, 400-1500
- The Local Identities and Palaeography of Early Modern England, 1500-1700
- Understanding English and Welsh Communities and Cultures, 1750-2000
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesHistory Language Studies View 475 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- 2:1 degree in history or another relevant discipline.
- We also welcome applicants who do not have a degree but who can show enthusiasm and competence by having attended relevant certificated courses, by submitting published work or by writing qualifying essays to a first degree standard.
International16825 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16825 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8190 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8190 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.