Why study MSc Electronic Security and Digital Forensics MSc course at Middlesex University?
The smooth running of societies and economies is now dependent on the security of computer networks, and cyber crime, from fraud, identity theft and cyber stalking to terrorism and espionage, can affect anyone and is at the forefront of government policy. But many court cases have collapsed because of a lack of experts trained in the meticulous art of tracking down evidence. The innovative course was created to meet the demand for skills in an area that's chronically short of well-qualified graduates.
The Electronic Security and Digital Forensics MSc course at the Middlesex University has a strong practical focus, with an emphasis on both in-depth technical and legal theory and hands-on project work. You'll work in our specialist computer forensics laboratory in our award-winning technology centre, using the latest forensic software, including Forensic Toolkit version 5.0, Encase version 7.0 and Micro Systemation XRY Complete. You'll also have the opportunity to achieve XRY Logical certification during the course.
- We have strong links with industry - we work with companies such as Microsoft and Siemens, and we are a Cisco local academy and a Xilinx university partner.
- The course is led by Dr Carlisle George, a former barrister who has co-edited two books on regulatory issues in healthcare information. He is a member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Electronic Security and Digital Forensics and leads the university's ALERT (Aspects of Law and Ethics Related to Technology) research group.
- You'll also improve your communication, teamwork, time-management, organisational, analytical and critical skills.
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module
- There is a very high demand worldwide for well-qualified IT graduates and this course will leave you perfectly placed to for a variety of roles such as digital forensic investigator, data recovery expert, network management specialist or security consultant.
- One of the largest employers of digital forensic scientists is the police and there are many opportunities available with other government agencies and departments, such as the Serious and Organised Crime Agency, MI5, the Serious Fraud Office and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. A number of our graduates have gone to work for IT companies, security consultancies, forensic computing firms, software developers, and games manufacturers.
- The course is accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS).
- Digital Investigation and Evidence Management
- Legal and Professional Aspects of Digital Forensics
- Information Security Management
- Corporate Compliance and Financial Crime Prevention
- Postgraduate Computing Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesForensic Science Legal Studies IT Security View 112 other Masters in Forensic Science in United Kingdom
- A 2:2 honours degree in a related subject, such as those providing a significant exposure to information technology.
- Applicants with degrees in other fields who can demonstrate relevant industrial experience may also be considered.
International14500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14500 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National10000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- EU Full-time: £14,500
- UK Part-time: £67 per credit; £33 per dissertation credit
- International/EU Part-time: £97 per credit; £48 per dissertation credit
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.