Why study MSc Electronic Security and Digital Forensics MSc course at Middlesex University?
The smooth running of societies and economies is now dependent on the security of computer networks, and cyber crime, from fraud, identity theft and cyber stalking to terrorism and espionage, can affect anyone and is at the forefront of government policy. But many court cases have collapsed because of a lack of experts trained in the meticulous art of tracking down evidence. Our innovative course was created to meet the demand for skills in an area that's chronically short of well-qualified graduates.
The Electronic Security and Digital Forensics MSc course has a strong practical focus, with an emphasis on both in-depth technical and legal theory and hands-on project work. You'll work in our specialist computer forensics laboratory in our award-winning technology centre, using the latest forensic software, including Forensic Toolkit version 5.0, Encase version 7.0 and Micro Systemation XRY Complete. You'll also have the opportunity to achieve XRY Logical certification during the course.
- We have strong links with industry - we work with companies such as Microsoft and Siemens, and we are a Cisco local academy and a Xilinx university partner.
- The course is led by Dr Carlisle George, a former barrister who has co-edited two books on regulatory issues in healthcare information. He is a member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Electronic Security and Digital Forensics and leads the university's ALERT (Aspects of Law and Ethics Related to Technology) research group.
- You'll also improve your communication, teamwork, time-management, organisational, analytical and critical skills.
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module
There is a very high demand worldwide for well-qualified IT graduates and this course will leave you perfectly placed to for a variety of roles such as digital forensic investigator, data recovery expert, network management specialist or security consultant.One of the largest employers of digital forensic scientists is the police and there are many opportunities available with other government agencies and departments, such as the Serious and Organised Crime Agency, MI5, the Serious Fraud Office and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. A number of our graduates have gone to work for IT companies, security consultancies, forensic computing firms, software developers, and games manufacturers.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Digital Investigation and Evidence Management
- Legal and Professional Aspects of Digital Forensics
- Information Security Management
- Corporate Compliance and Financial Crime Prevention
- Postgraduate Computing Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We recommend applying as early as possible for your chosen postgraduate course to ensure you are granted a place.
DisciplinesForensic Science IT Security View 104 other Masters in Forensic Science in United Kingdom
- A 2:2 honours degree in a related subject, such as those providing a significant exposure to information technology
- Applicants with degrees in other fields who can demonstrate relevant industrial experience may also be considered.
- You must have competence in English language to study with us.
- We also normally require Grade C GCSE or an equivalent qualification.
International14000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9700 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Part-time per taught credit: £65
- Part-time per taught credit: £93
- The Alumni Bursary
- Arts and Creative Industries scholarship
- Business scholarship
- Health and Education scholarship
- Law, Criminology and Social Sciences scholarship
- Postgraduate Support Bursary
- Professional Enhancement scholarship
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) scholarship
- The Middlesex University Food Practical Prize
- The SureFoot Solutions Food Safety Dissertation Project Prize
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.