Why study Youth Justice, Community Safety and Applied Criminology MA at Middlesex University?
Delivered by leading researchers and drawing on the expertise of those currently working in the field, this Youth Justice, Community Safety and Applied Criminology MA degree at the Middlesex University provides both traditional academic provision in the form of lectures, seminars and tutorials and the opportunity to undertake up to a third of the course via work-based learning (for those already working in appropriate contexts) or an internship with an agency such as a Youth Offending Team, a Drug and Alcohol Support Service or a Community Safety Partnership.
The core elements of the programme are delivered on one evening per week so as to allow for those in work to attend. The remainder of the programme is made up by either studying optional modules available during the daytime or (in the case of one module) via distance learning or by a combination of a long or short dissertation and/or the long or short work-based learning or internship modules.
- Study in a highly reputable criminology department with a long history in training the very best criminologists
- The option to complete up to a third of the course through work-based learning or an internship within a criminal justice agency
- Delivery by academic staff who are involved in pioneering research in the field including work on the links between victimisation and offending, 'status dogs' and gangs, online child safety, recent developments in probationary services, mental health and offending, joint enterprise and political violence and terrorism.
- Enjoy teaching that incorporates guest lectures delivered by experts working in the field of offender management, gang life and culture, urban policing, and prisoner care and welfare.
- The programme enjoys a particularly good employability record owing to the fact that it provides internship opportunities which provide valuable practical experience in the field that can be vital when applying for roles. Since it was established in the late 1990s, its many graduates have gained work and/or gone onto management positions in areas related to youth justice, probation, policing, community safety, mental health, prisons, and drug and alcohol services.
- Those already in industry view their master's-level studies as a means to facilitating career progression within their organisations. A number of students have continued their studies in criminology and psychology at PhD level. Staff in the department will work alongside the employability office to facilitate your future career decisions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Applying Criminological Research in Policy and Practice
- Interpersonal Violence and Hate Crime
- Community Safety and Public Protection
- Youth Offending, Disorder and Gangs
- Dissertation in Criminology
- Contemporary Issues in Criminal Justice
- Critical Issues in Criminal Justice
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLegal Studies Criminology Cyber Security View 152 other Masters in Criminology in United Kingdom
- A 2:2 honours degree or above in an appropriate subject, or an equivalent overseas qualification.
International14500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14500 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- EU Full-time: £14,500
- UK Part-time: £60 per credit; £30 per dissertation credit
- International/EU Part-time: £97 per credit; £48 per dissertation credit
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.