Why study PGCE Secondary Education English at Middlesex University?
At Middlesex University, we are passionate about language and literature in all its forms. Combining your enthusiasm for literature and communication with the educational theory and practice offered on this course, our team of experienced English teachers will equip you with the skills and experience necessary to both educate and inspire secondary English pupils. Through interactive workshops, tutorials, lectures and debates, this one-year full-time course enables you to meet and exceed the national standards for the award of qualified teacher status.
During your studies, you will undertake teaching placements in at least two secondary schools and have the chance to acquire skills in the pedagogy of English teaching and in the application of new technologies in teaching and learning. We have excellent relationships with schools in and outside London and in this highly personalised programme, schools are carefully selected to suit each individual and expose them to a variety of imaginative and thought provoking learning strategies. Key experts from our partner schools are on hand to offer invaluable mentoring and support.
The PGCE Secondary Education English course includes interrelated elements that focus on the school and classroom, language, literature and communication. Key areas addressed during the course include the teaching of literature, media aspects of English; an exploration of support for language and learning needs; and the role of Drama within English.
- Many of our graduates have their first teaching job at the schools where they had their placement
- The diverse teaching placements will enable you to understand, critically evaluate and respond to the needs of children in multicultural, multilingual and multi-faith settings, and schools in both rural and urban environments
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.
CareersMiddlesex University has consistently high employment rates for its teaching programmes. We have excellent relationships with schools in north London, Essex and Hertfordshire and many of our graduates start their first teaching post at the school where they completed a placement during the programme.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
What will you study on the PGCE Secondary Education English?
You will critically evaluate the effectiveness of a wide range of resources and your own lesson plans. You will analyse research data and critically evaluate how research has contributed to the knowledge and understanding of how to teach English effectively.
- School-Based Training
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We recommend applying as early as possible for your chosen postgraduate course to ensure you are granted a place .
DisciplinesEducation Languages View 467 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- You need at least a 2.2 Bachelor honours degree or equivalent from a recognised overseas qualification, in a subject relevant to your chosen subject area
- Level 3 qualification in English Language or English Literature.
- You must have GCSEs Grade C or above in English and Maths or be retaking them this year. We also accept the equivalency tests by Equivalency Testing, A Star Teachers or any other appropriately accredited provider. We cannot accept functional skills or key skills or IELTS.
- Entry onto this course requires an interview. We use the interview to find out more about you, to better understand your aspirations and interests, and to explore why you want to study here.
International13000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.