The Master's in Applied Linguistics and TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) offered by University of Leicester is a rigorous qualification for experienced teachers of English which will build upon your professional knowledge and expertise. The programme has been developed with the professional in mind and offers you many opportunities for career enhancement.
The programme is based on content-rich online module materials, supported by multimedia and moderated discussion forums enabling you to study wherever or whenever you want. The MA also includes e-tivities (collaborative online activities) which allow you to discuss ideas and issues with peers from a range of backgrounds. Learning with others offers a rich resource which enables you to develop an understanding of educational systems other than your own. It also reduces the potential isolation of studying as a distance learning student.
The MA in Applied Linguistics and TESOL provides professional development and training, including:
- A critical understanding of key issues and debates in many areas of Applied Linguistics and of how these relate to English Language Teaching.
- A body of knowledge that will enhance your ability to undertake language teaching at a range of levels and cultural and institutional contexts.
- The ability to reflect, analyse and critically evaluate language teaching and learning concepts and theories, and to understand and examine the assumptions underlying different classroom practices.
- The ability to analyse language in use from different perspectives relevant to language teaching and learning.
- The skills to undertake effective practitioner research in your specific area of interest.
Careers and employability
Our degrees are highly valued by educational employers and our MA qualifications will help you to raise your profile when seeking to advance your career as a language teaching professional. The field of English Language Teaching is increasingly competitive and many organisations see a Master's level qualification as an essential requirement.
- Second Language Teaching and Learning
- Grammar Awareness
- Phonology and Pronunciation Teaching
- Language in Society
- Discourse Analysis
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLinguistics Teaching English View 21 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Leicester and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- 2:2 or above in a relevant subject, or equivalent.
- You should be a teacher or already be working in the English Language Teaching field with two years' full time teaching experience.
International3902 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9755 GBP for the full programme during 30 months.
National3902 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9755 GBP for the full programme during 30 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.