The Master of Science in Molecular Biology and Genetics at University of Pavia program will provide a state-of-the-art knowledge and training in biomolecular sciences, including the most recent advances in genomics and proteomics of human and animal organisms, in the study of biomolecular structures and their connection to function, and in the genetic manipulation of bacteria, human and animal cells and seed plants.
The program will also provide expertise in the technologies required for the utilization of microorganisms, animals, and plants as factories for the production of biologically active molecules including therapeutic compounds.
The students are expected to carry out a scientific investigation under the supervision of a faculty member (38 credits). The duration of the internship for thesis is 2 academic years (4 semesters). The experimental work carried out during the two year-Degree, must result in a Dissertation (Master of Sciences) that will represent an essential component of the Course program. In this context, the graduates will benefit from the informal atmosphere between staff and students that is traditional in our University. For the experimental component of the Curriculum, each student will be associated with a research group and actively participate in one of the group’s research projects.
Aims and Objectives
- Provide students with an excellent background in the theoretical aspects of biomolecular sciences and familiarity with laboratory techniques,
- Stimulate the capability of students to plan and implement research projects and to critically evaluate the results of their research and those of the scientific literature.
- Expose the students to the present frontiers of research in the life sciences exploiting also lectures and seminars given by invited international scientists of excellent level.
- Develop the students writing and oral scientific communication skills in view of their future interaction with the international scientific community.
- Develop their ability to perform teamwork.
- Provide the ability to critically assess the usefulness of theoretical, experimental and practical methodologies for the analysis and solution of scientific questions and issues.
- Provide the opportunity for students to gain and enhance the knowledge and skills required by research organizations and biotechnology companies.
- Provide the ability of the students to bring to the society at large the benefits of advanced research in the life sciences.
A Molecular Biology and Genetics Master degree may offer a successful introduction to different types of jobs throughout society. Graduates will find work opportunities in a wide range of fields and institutions, including a possible continuation of the study towards a qualified Ph. D. degree for a career in the academic or research organization world, or employment in the health sector, in biotech companies, in agribusiness research, in the communication media, as well as for teaching in the private or public sectors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Molecular Biology
- Cellular Biochemistry
- Developmental Biology
- Plant Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Human Molecular Genetics
- Methods in Biochemistry
- Microbial Genetics
- Molecular Microbiology
- Molecular Pharmacology
- Structural Biology
- Bachelor’s Degree (Honours, 3 years) in Biology, Biotechnology or related life science programmes.
- Students must have a good knowledge of basic biology topics with particular attention to Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology.
- Knowledge of English should correspond at least to a B2 level.
- Students who graduated in a non-Italian university must take and pass the pre-evaluation of qualification and admission test
International4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 EUR per year during 24 months.
- Tuition fee for non-EU students who enter Italy with a study visa is based on flat rate and depends on the citizenship.
- If non-EU students come from a family with limited financial resource, they can choose to have their tuition fee calculated according to their family income (from €156,00 to €3.985,00 per year).
Living costs for Pavia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.