Delivered in partnership with The Northern Association of Support Services for Equality and Achievement (NASSEA), the programme will help you to work more effectively in your role with children and young people learning English as an additional or second language.
The Bilingualism in Education programme from University of Birmingham aims to:
- Increase knowledge and understanding of the language and learning needs of bilingual learners who are learning English as an additional language
- Increase knowledge and practices of working across a diversity of cultures
- Improve classroom practice in planning, implementing and evaluating the curriculum, taking into account the needs of bilingual learners
- Enable students to develop more effective practices with bilingual learners with alleged special educational needs
- Enable students to participate in, and evaluate interpersonal intervention with bilingual children with language learning and learning needs
The MEd/Postgraduate Diploma/Postgraduate Certificate in Bilingualism in Education is ideal for graduates who wish to increase their knowledge and understanding of the language and learning needs of bilingual learners who are learning English as an additional language. Upon completion of this course, you will have experience in planning, implementing and evaluating the curriculum across a diversity of cultures.
There is the opportunity to work towards a further professional qualification in the field of Education both within schools and in other settings, including progression to a PhD or EdD.
The excellent careers advice provided by personal tutors has encouraged many of our graduates to successfully apply for leadership roles working with multilingual children and young people in multicultural schools.
These include: teachers, education advisors, special educational needs coordinators and head teachers at international schools and managers of community and charitable organisations.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Bilingualism in Education
- Academic Language and Learning for Bilingual Learners
- Teaching and Learning in EAL
- Bilingualism and Special Needs
- Portfolio of Practice
- Management and Leadership in EAL
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies Languages View 52 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Applicants are required to have a first degree in a related field such as education, development or policy but individuals from a range of educational and professional backgrounds are considered.
- A clearly demonstrated interest in education is important and whilst some teaching experience is an advantage, it is not an essential requirement for entry.
- However, it is essential to have professional access to working with learners with English as an additional or second language for the duration of the programme.
International6150 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6150 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA3083 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3083 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
- PGCert. £2,625
- PGDip. £2,625
- PGCert. £6,150
- PGDip. £6,150
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.