The Military History programme taught at the University of Birmingham will stimulate and challenge you to think about the history of warfare in all its aspects, building a skill set over two years of part-time study which will equip you for further research in the field and/or broaden and deepen your understanding of the cruel, complex but endlessly fascinating phenomenon that is war.Why study this course?
- Research expertise - Times Higher Education ranked the Department of History first in the country for its performance in the latest Research Excellence Framework exercise. The programme is also delivered through a dedicated research centre, the Centre for War Studies.
- Join an active online community - Studying by distance learning is not a lonely experience within the Department of History. You will get to meet interact with students from all over the world – virtually – which will impact on your learning experience.
- Flexibility - you will have an exciting opportunity to explore your chosen area of study in depth through your choice of dissertation topic.
- Career changing - a qualification from the University of Birmingham can be the springboard to promotion with your current employer, the platform from which to launch a new career or simply a way to become more effective in your current role.
- Ongoing support - you will be assigned a personal tutor who will guide you through the programme.
Birmingham’s History graduates develop a broad range of transferable skills that are highly valued by a range of employers. These skills include: familiarity with research methods; the ability to manage large quantities of information from diverse sources; the ability to organise information in a logical and coherent manner; the expertise to write clearly and concisely and to tight deadlines; critical and analytical ability; the capacity for argument, debate and speculation; and the ability to base conclusions on statistical research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Skills: Methodology and Sources
- Tactics and Operational Art
- Command and Leadership in War
- Ethics of War
- Experience of War
- Dissertation Preparation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMilitary Science History Modern History View 8 other Masters in Modern History in United Kingdom
- A good Honours degree in History or an equivalent discipline. Other professional experience or qualifications comparable to degree standard will also be considered. Examples might include law, accountancy, management, or published work in a relevant field. Every submission is considered on its own merits.
International4750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4750 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
National4750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4750 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
- Scholarships to cover fees and/or maintenance costs may be available
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.