This Military History programme from University of Birmingha will stimulate and challenge you to think about the history of warfare in all its aspects, building a skill set over two years of part-time study which will equip you for further research in the field and/or broaden and deepen your understanding of the cruel, complex but endlessly fascinating phenomenon that is war.
Birmingham’s Department of History is ranked the best in the country*, with 87% of its research rated as world leading or internationally excellent in terms of its quality.
This research expertise is evident within our teaching within our programmes drawing on the diverse regional and chronological expertise available in the Department of History.
Why study this course?
- Research expertise - Times Higher Education ranked the Department of History first in the country for its performance in the latest Research Excellence Framework exercise. The programme is also delivered through a dedicated research centre, the Centre for War Studies.
- Join an active online community - Studying by distance learning is not a lonely experience within the Department of History. You will get to meet interact with students from all over the world – virtually – which will benefit your learning experience.
- Flexibility - you will have an exciting opportunity to explore your chosen area of study in depth through your choice of dissertation topic.
- Career changing - a qualification from the University of Birmingham can be the springboard to promotion with your current employer, the platform from which to launch a new career or simply a way to become more effective in your current role.
- Ongoing support - you will be assigned a personal tutor who will guide you through the programme.
- Research Skills: Methodology and Sources
- Tactics and Operational Art
- Command and Leadership in War
- Ethics of War
- Experience of War
- Dissertation Preparation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMilitary Science History Modern History View 52 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Birmingham and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
A good Honours degree in History or an equivalent discipline. Other professional experience or qualifications comparable to degree standard will also be considered. Examples might include law, accountancy, management, or published work in a relevant field. Every submission is considered on its own merits.
International2452 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4905 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
National2452 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4905 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.