A thorough grounding is provided in research methods and in the historiography and economics of warfare, while a wide choice of options complements the broad range of possible dissertation subjects that can be supported by our staff.
Students of the History of Warfare programme from University of Birmingham take a global approach to study and our students explore all types of conflict from all types of regions of the world. The breadth and flexibility of the programme helps make it unique.
Why study this course?
- Taught by experts – You will have the opportunity to explore compelling and controversial areas within a rich and diverse environment. Our academics are all experts in their field which include military history and social and cultural history, so you will benefit from their professional knowledge.
- Research strength – Times Higher Education ranked the Department of History first in the country for its performance in the latest Research Excellence Framework exercise.
- Excellent reputation – the University of Birmingham has been ranked as one of the world's top 100 institutions to study History in the 2021 QS World University Rankings.
- Access to academic support services – As a postgraduate student you will have access to services such as the Academic Writing Advisory Service and the Bank of Assessed Work which will aid your transition from undergraduate to postgraduate level, or back into academia after a time away.
- Be a part of an exciting department – you will join a lively postgraduate community with opportunities to enhance your learning through events and research seminars.
- Economics of War
- Historical Methods
- Research Skills: Dissertation Preparation
- Writing the History of Warfare
- The American Civil War
- The British Army on the Western Front 1914-18
- The English Civil War
- The Nazis at War
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Modern History View 172 other Masters in Modern History in United Kingdom
A good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline. Other professional qualifications comparable to degree standard would also be considered, e.g., an honours degree or higher degree in a subject other than History, or professional qualifications of degree standard such as law, accountancy, management, or published work in a relevant field. Every submission is considered on its own merits.
International20430 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20430 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9810 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9810 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.