Why study the History of Warfare programme from University of Birmingham
- Taught by experts – You will have the opportunity to explore compelling and controversial areas within a rich and diverse environment. Our academics are all experts in their field which include military history and social and cultural history, so you will benefit from their professional knowledge.
- Research strength – Times Higher Education ranked the Department of History first in the country for its performance in the latest Research Excellence Framework exercise.
- Excellent reputation – the University of Birmingham has been ranked as one of the world's top 100 institutions to study History in the QS World Rankings.
- Access to academic support services – As a postgraduate student you will have access to services such as the Academic Writing Advisory Service and the Bank of Assessed Work which will aid your transition from undergraduate to postgraduate level, or back into academia after a time away.
- Be a part of an exciting department – you will join a lively postgraduate community with opportunities to enhance your learning through events and research seminars.
Birmingham’s History graduates develop a broad range of transferable skills that are highly valued by a range of employers. These skills include: familiarity with research methods; the ability to manage large quantities of information from diverse sources; the ability to organise information in a logical and coherent manner; the expertise to write clearly and concisely and to tight deadlines; critical and analytical ability; the capacity for argument, debate and speculation; and the ability to base conclusions on statistical research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Economics of War
- Historical Methods
- Research Skills: Dissertation Preparation
- Writing the History of Warfare
- The American Civil War
- The British Army on the Western Front 1914-18
- The English Civil War
- The Nazis at War
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Modern History View 504 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- A good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline. Other professional qualifications comparable to degree standard would also be considered, e.g., an honours degree or higher degree in a subject other than History, or professional qualifications of degree standard such as law, accountancy, management, or published work in a relevant field. Every submission is considered on its own merits.
International19440 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19440 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
National9500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Government-backed postgraduate loans are available to help UK and EU students to finance their studies. Loans are available of up to £10,906 for Masters by Research students and up to £25,700 for PhD students, in all subject areas.
- International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.