The Physics and Chemistry programme at Université de Lyon offers:
- Advanced-level, non-specialized training. M1 courses cover the entire spectrum of physics and chemistry, so as to allow students to make an informed choice from among the various research fields within these disciplines.
- A personalized degree course thanks to a wide, diverse choice of optional courses in physics and chemistry. Students can also take courses in other disciplines at ENS Lyon, in the sciences, arts or social sciences, as well as at other institutions in the Rhône-Alpes region.
- Numerous possible openings during the second semester: a semester of physics, chemistry and biology, a semester abroad, a long research placement, an opening toward another discipline, etc.
- A research internship in a laboratory. Lasting twelve weeks at the end of the second semester, this research placement is an integral part of the Master's research-based training.
- Numerous internal training programme documents (course notes, tutorial texts, examination archives, evaluation questionnaires, etc.) are made available to M1 students via the "Studies Portal" (students must sign in to the ENS server).
The M1 year includes an obligatory core programme, as well as optional courses.
Two programmes are offered: the "Chemistry Major" and the "Physics Major". For each Major, the programme comprises "core list" courses and optional courses. In addition, each student must attend the Wednesday seminars.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Numerical analysis
- Electrodynamics and classical field theory
- Green Functions and Applications
- Fluid mechanics
- Advanced Quantum Mechanics
- Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics
- Dynamical systems and chaos
- Tensors and geometry
- Advanced Thermodynamics
- Signal Analysis
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
There are two possibilities to enter the Master 1:
- Most students enter the M1 by continuing on following the L3 year of the Physics & Chemistry programme.
- The remaining students enter the M1 by application for admission to the program, after their having completed the L3 program of a university degree in France or abroad, or an equivalent program. Application files submitted by the candidates are examined by the selection committee which meets every year at the beginning of July.
International256 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 256 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA256 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 256 EUR per year during 12 months.
In French public institutions of higher education, the State assumes most of the training fees (an average of €10,000 per student per year).
Living costs for Lyon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.