The courses within the International Commercial Law and Practice (Online Learning) programme at The University of Edinburgh examine contemporary issues in commercial law across a broad range of topics, which aim to equip you with a thorough understanding of law, theory and policy, as well as an appreciation of how the law is practised.
Globalisation and developments in technology have led to a marked increase in international trade in goods and services, in international investment, and in the development of global financial markets. In parallel, the world of international commerce has seen major growth in the regulation of commercial activity at a national and international level, and in international litigation and arbitration when disputes arise.
This LLM aims to help you understand the international context in which businesses currently operate. The programme focuses on the legal responses to the developments shaping international commerce today, as lawyers and business professionals are increasingly required to look beyond domestic law to find solutions appropriate to their international business needs and opportunities.
The majority of students on the Law School’s LLM programmes by online distance learning are mid-career, and they often work across international boundaries. Many will already be established in their career, but wish to use the programme to consolidate skills and knowledge accumulated over time.
Graduates of our online distance learning programmes progress to a range of careers in law and related legal fields, including work in local and international firms, government legal departments, other public institutions, international organisations and in academia. The programmes are also an ideal platform for advanced research.
For some graduates, successful completion of the programme will lead to a promotion within their current positions. Others aim to develop a new professional direction altogether. The programme aims to support students in whichever outcome they aspire to, through developing their knowledge and understanding of the law, but also through acquiring transferable skills and, not least, the experience of engaging with leading academics in the field and with fellow students.
The profile of online distance learning LLM students, and their needs for career guidance, are recognised by the University careers service, which offers information resources relevant to international and non-Law careers, and the opportunity to arrange individual consultations with students who are based remotely.
More informationVisit official programme website
- To be awarded LLM International Commercial Law & Practice, you must successfully complete six courses, four of which must be core courses, and a 10,000-word dissertation during your chosen duration of study.
- During your studies you will also have the opportunity to study up to two courses from different subject areas such as information technology law, intellectual property law and medical law.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
- No Attendance
DisciplinesInternational Law Business Law Master of Laws (LLM) View 44 other Masters in Master of Laws (LLM) in United Kingdom
- A minimum UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in law.
- We will also consider candidates with a UK 2:1 degree, or its international equivalent, in a non-law subject if they can demonstrate prior high-level study or experience of commercial law topics.
- Your other qualifications and professional experience will also be considered as part of your application.
- Entry to this programme is competitive. Meeting minimum requirements for consideration does not guarantee an offer of study.
International20700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20700 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA20700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20700 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- 2 years (part-time): £10,350
- 20 months (part-time): £10,350
- 32 months (part-time): £6,900
- 3 years (part-time): £6,900
- Edinburgh Law School Tercentenary Awards for Excellence
- Online Learning Scholarships
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.