During the Europaeum programme you will focus on exploring the processes, values and ideas that shaped Europe from medieval to modern times. You may tailor the programme to match your specific interests or research requirements.
You will spend a trimester at each of the three prestigious academic partner institutions, receiving specialist courses, lectures, seminars, and individual tutorials. During your studies you will develop the specific research skills and knowledge to produce a significant piece of your own quality research in this field. You will graduate with a certificate from the Europaeum, an association of Europe's top ten universities, in addition to your MA in History degree from Leiden University.
The Europaeum Programme European History and Civilisation at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme of History. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited master’s degree in History and the title Master of Arts (MA). You will also receive an additional certificate presented by the Europaeum.
Career prospectsMany of our students carry on to take a second MA degree and quite a few are accepted to PhD positions. To give you an indication:
- About one-third of Europaeum graduates make a career for themselves in international organisations, frequently in governance bodies, such as EU institutions, as well as in national government. Some find employment at organisations such as the World Bank and the United Nations.
- Another third of graduates have joined the internationally-oriented business/private sector, working for organisations such as Mackenzie, Shell, Phillips and Siemens.
- And roughly one-third enter academia/ the research world.
- Alumni also find teaching positions at universities, and occasionally also in high schools.
More informationVisit official programme website
- The programme is divided into trimesters, the first and most intensive will take place at Leiden University, where you will be required to follow two exclusive Europeaum courses, an optional course, and commence your MA-thesis.
- The main goal of this experience is to provide future European and World leaders and scholars with knowledge and an international experience.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesHistory European Studies View 22 other Masters in European Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Writing sample
- Thesis proposal
- Letters of recommendation
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.