Under the guidance of leading scholars in their fields, students will encounter some of the most influential contemporary critical and theoretical models currently being applied to the notions of modernity and modernisation, and apply the ideas raised by these theories to a rich variety of works from the Romantic, Victorian, and modernist periods, and the later twentieth and twenty-first centuries.
Texts studied in English - Modernities: American and British Literature and Film range from those of canonical Romantics, including P.B. and Mary Shelley, major Victorian authors such as Charles Dickens, the influential modernists Ezra Pound and Virginia Woolf, to innovative recent and contemporary poets, novelists, dramatists, and filmmakers.
Among theorists of modernity, students at University College Cork can expect to explore the thought of significant nineteenth-century thinkers, including Carlyle, Nietzsche, Marx, Freud, and to examine twentieth/twenty-first-century cultural theory in such fields as deconstruction, ecofeminism, and transhumanism. The encounter with these thinkers and movements will aid the student in debating and developing a deeper understanding and appreciation of the broader culture in this era.
- Contemporary Literary Research: Skills, Methods and Strategies
- Theories of Modernity
- Literary and Cultural Modernisms
- Postmodernism in Literature and Film
- Romanticism and Modernity
- American Modernities
- American Cinema
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Literature View 24 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in Ireland
- To be considered for admission to an MA programme within the School of English, an applicant will normally possess a primary degree result of Second Class Honours Grade 1 (2H1) level or higher or equivalent qualification in English or a cognate subject.
- All candidates must satisfy a Selection Committee who may request applicants to provide letters of reference. For North American students a cumulative GPA of at least 3.3 is expected.
International13000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13000 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6000 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.