The combination of historical and contemporary perspectives is a key feature of the entire Humanities Research - Philosophy MA programme offered at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
The programme is designed to equip the next generation of humanities researchers with the tools to design innovative, imaginative research across disciplines. In close collaboration with highly acclaimed research groups, you’ll develop techniques to connect your research with current societal challenges, and to communicate the results to a broad audience. You’ll benefit from the extensive network our teams have built up with heritage institutions, research institutes, NGOs and business partners, for internships and embedded research projects.
Pursue an academic career
After graduating in the Humanities Research Master’s programme, you’ll be well placed to work as an independent researcher. You’ll have the skills needed to pursue a PhD within academia, and we’ll guide you in writing a research proposal for a PhD project. In recent years, many of our alumni have been awarded PhD grants in the Netherlands and abroad.
- The Philosophy of Freedom
- Foundational Texts: Hume, Enquiries
- Foundational Texts: Plato, Politeia
- Knowledge in a Social World
- Interdisciplinary Research in the Humanities
- Humanities Research Career Preparation
- Essentials of Humanities Research
- Historical and Systematic Research
- Foundational Texts: Nozick, Philosophical Explanations
- Historical and Systematic Research Projects: Moral and Political Philosophy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Educational Research Political Science View 57 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
To be admitted to the programme, you should have:
- a Bachelor’s degree in an academic degree related to your chosen specialisation.
- a proficient level of academic English,
- proof of excellent study results: outstanding grade for your bachelor’s thesis (7.5 or higher), and an average of no less than 7.5 for a relevant selection of your bachelor’s programme (to be decided by the Admission Board).
- and clear motivation for doing academic research.
International16830 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16830 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.