On this course, you'll be supported by our tutors and school-based mentors as you learn to plan and deliver lessons with strong subject knowledge, confidence and imagination, while reflecting on what it means to teach. You can study full time over 1 year, or part time over 2.
Our teacher training programmes have been given an outstanding review from Ofsted and we've got excellent links with many schools in the region – so when you finish your course, you'll graduate with excellent career prospects, and eligibility for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) too.
What you will experience?
The PGCE has three interconnected strands – Curriculum Studies, Professional Studies and School Experience – so the skills and knowledge you pick up can be practised and built on with teaching experience. You'll hone your teaching skills in whichever of the following subject areas you choose:
- Modern Foreign Languages
- Computer Science
- Science (with biology, physics or chemistry)
On this course, you'll:
- Develop your teaching skills through practical activity and the study of theories and contemporary issues in education
- Share your experience and learn from other students through lectures and seminars
- Learn key teaching skills, including lesson planning, classroom management, and special needs and inclusion
- Develop your subject-based knowledge
- Get work experience in a teaching placement, where you'll work closely with mentors and other school staff
- Study a range of topics including pedagogy and practice based research; lesson planning; behaviour management; assessment, and special education needs and inclusion
How you're assessed
The assessments that you'll complete on this course are designed to ensure that you meet the Standards for Qualifying to Teach.
In each term you'll be assessed through:
- The development of your teaching skills
- A formal assignment
- An interview in which you'll demonstrate the evidence collected towards the standards including your subject knowledge
Throughout the course, you'll also collate a portfolio of evidence based on schoolwork, observations of teaching, tasks and assignments.
Once you graduate, you'll be ready to start your teaching career. Over 90 per cent of Portsmouth PGCE graduates go into full-time teaching, and once you're an established teaching professional, you'll have opportunities for further career progression in roles including year head and subject leader.
Our PGCE degree course is an accredited qualification and once you graduate, you'll be eligible for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Core modules currently include:
- Classroom practice in secondary teaching
- Reflective practice in secondary teaching
- The development of the professional secondary teacher
- The professional secondary teacher
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Make your application as soon as possible.
DisciplinesEducation Computer Sciences Web Technologies & Cloud Computing View 194 other Masters in Web Technologies & Cloud Computing in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject, ideally with approximately 50% Computer Science content or other relevant experience.
- GCSE Mathematics and English language at grade C (Grade 4) or above, or equivalent.
- All shortlisted applicants are subject to interview.
- All offers are subject to Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance and Occupational Health clearance.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.