In the master’s programme Politics, Culture and National Identities, 1789 to the Present at Leiden University you will be at the forefront of a new approach to understand how national politics and identities in Europe are conceived.
You will be part of a master's programme that takes a broad, comparative approach to the study of the political and national identities of a number of European countries and the United States spanning the period from 1789 until the present.
Your understanding of how national identities and political views have evolved will enable you to make a valuable contribution to the debates that continue to dominate both public and academic forums, including discussions about the EU, democracy and populism.Politics, Culture and National Identities, 1789 to the Present at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme of History. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited master’s degree in History and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Career prospectsExamples of the diverse roles of our graduates include:
- Senior assistant at the European Union
- PhD candidate at Leiden University
- History teacher at a secondary school
- Project manager at a text agency
- Digital education officer at a museum
- Policy advisor at a local council
- Editor at a publishing house
- Web journalist at a multimedia publishing house
More informationVisit official programme website
- The programme consists of an introductory literature course , two in-depth studies of one or more areas of interest, and an MA thesis, concluded by a final exam. The MA thesis work during the second semester is supported by a Thesis seminar.
- The programme starts with an intensive Literature Seminar, which covers the first 8 weeks of the semester. During this course you will discuss recent insights and key issues within the field of your programme.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History View 47 other Masters in History in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.