Do you want to explain the refugee crisis? The economic crisis? Persistent inequality (according to gender, class, ethnicity, sexuality)? Crime and urbanisation? In this History master’s degree you will focus on processes that are subjects of heated current societal and political debates.
You will study them from a comparative and historical perspective (covering the period 1500 until today) and place them in the wider frameworks of the development of trade networks, the emergence of multinationals, economic growth and stagnation, and regional unification.Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme of History. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited master’s degree in History and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Career prospectsExamples of the diverse roles of our graduates include:
- Senior assistant at the European Union
- PhD candidate at Leiden University
- History teacher at a secondary school
- Project manager at a text agency
- Digital education officer at a museum
- Policy advisor at a local council
- Editor at a publishing house
- Web journalist at a multimedia publishing house
More informationVisit official programme website
- The programme starts with an intensive Literature Seminar, which covers the first 8 weeks of the semester. During this course you will discuss recent insights and key issues within the field of your programme.
- You will take two Research Seminars during which you will carry out research on the basis of primary source material or published documents.
- We also offer students the ability to take an Optional Course from a wide range of possibilities. These may comprise MA-courses offered by Leiden University and those offered by other universities.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesHistory View 47 other Masters in History in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.