In this specialisation from our master's in Arts and Culture, you will gain an understanding of the challenges presented by art history today, and explore developments in art in the broad context of visual culture and theory – from social and political developments to developments in the natural sciences and globalisation.
You will develop specialised knowledge in three core areas: art from a global perspective, art in relation to science, and art theory and aesthetics. You will also examine the role of museums and art venues and how artists relate to these.
Your MA in Contemporary Art in a Global Perspective degree offered by Leiden University will qualify you for a wide range of professions in the public, private and non-profit sectors, including cultural institutions, publishing, media, and public relations, depending on the specialisation you have chosen. You will also be qualified to pursue a PhD and a career in academia.
Career prospectsExamples of the diverse roles of our graduates include:
- Curator at a museum
- Collections manager at a natural history museum
- Project officer for heritage at a government agency
- Art teacher at a secondary school
- Auctioneer at an online auction house
- Research consultant at a recruitment company
- Teacher of art and theory at an art school
- Freelance artist and illustrator
- Newspaper critic
- Director of a publishing company
- PhD candidate
More informationVisit official programme website
- Field trips/excursions
- Internship options
- 12 months
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Art History View 98 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.