Biology at the University of Gothenburg is among the most popular undergraduate programs in Sweden and has been rated as “Very high quality” by the Swedish Higher Education Authority. Teachers and tutors on the program all participate in highly prolific research with strong international networks in the different profile areas. This provides a strong link between research and teaching.
The Biology Master's programme is offered at the University of Gothenburg, Faculty of Science. Our three strongly research-based profiles ecophysiology, evolutionary biology and conservation biology gives you not only tools and competence to compete on the job market, but are also an excellent preparation for graduate studies in biology.
The profile Ecophysiology provides in-depth knowledge of how plants and animals physiologically adapt and respond to various external factors such as global environmental changes. The profile Evolutionary biology provides in-depth insights into the evolution of living organism at the micro and macro level with implications for biodiversity and conservation. The profile Conservation Biology conveys the knowledge of how biologically valuable habitats arise, why they change and how they best can be managed.Areas of employment
Biologists work in many different areas with diverse tasks depending on the profile of their biology education. Examples of employers outside the academy where former Biology students from the University of Gothenburg work are: county administrative boards, local councils, Swedish Agency for Marine and Water Management, Swedish Board of Agriculture, Science parks like Universeum as well as Astra Zeneca and other pharmaceutical and biotech companies. Conservation- and evolutionary biologists work with environment and conservation questions in companies, local councils and government agencies or as self-employed consultants. Biologists with a physiological or cell biological profile often work with research in biotech companies, hospital labs or government agencies. Many biologists also work in research and education at universities and university colleges.
It is common with jobs that require international collaboration, therefor it is a valuable qualification to spend part of your studies abroad. In Biology, at the University of Gothenburg, you have good chances for exchange studies. We have over 100 contracts under the Erasmus and other exchange programs with universities and colleges around the world. If you are considering a semester or two in for instance Barcelona, Cardiff, Australia, or Canada, this is a good program to choose.
The program gives you the opportunity for in-depth studies in one of the profiles ecophysiology, evolutionary biology or conservation biology. Each profile contains recommended courses (see list below), but you can also widen your studies by choosing other electable in-depth courses in biology or other suitable subjects.
The master program closes with a degree project on the advanced level. The project is performed either in a research group or externally in for example a government agency or a company. The degree project can also be placed at another university in Sweden or abroad.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Global change - problem, analysis, measures , and An introduction to ecophysiology - plants and animals,
- Comparative Physiology of Marine Animals including Applications for Aquaculture
- Animal ecophysiology from a climate perspective ,
- Plant ecophysiology in a global change perspective ,
- Advanced Course in Ecology, (will change name to Evolutionary Ecology)
- Conservation and the genetics of populations,
- Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics,
- Advanced phylogenetics.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology View 51 other Masters in Biology in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- University studies of at least three full years, equal to a Bachelor's degree in Science in Biology, Marine or Environmental Science, including at least 60 hec in biology including one in-depth course in biology of at least 15 hec. Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS.
- Selection: Selection is based upon the number of credit points from previous university studies, maximum 225 hec.
International11246 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22493 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- Application fee: 900 SEK
- Full programme cost: 232 806 SEK
- First payment: 58 202 SEK
We are convinced that education and research flourish in an international environment. A mixture of students from different cultures enriches the learning environment and the University believes that motivated students should have a chance to study here even if they don’t have the means to cover all costs.
- The University of Gothenburg Study Scholarship & New Scholarships from Adlerbert Scholarship Foundation
- Swedish Institute's Scholarship
- The Volvo Group Scholarship
- The Richard C. Malmsten Memorial Foundation Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.