Aquaculture Biology degree offered by the University of Bergen is a diverse discipline, covering topics such as molecular biology, chemistry, nutrition, as well and the biology, physiology, and behaviour of fish. The practical work of aquaculture takes place in the laboratory, the hatchery, or the fish farm. The courses in this Aquaculture Biology specialization at University of Bergen provide an insight into the role of aquaculture in global food production, and the knowledge and skills needed for its further development.
The student research project can be undertaken in a commercial setting or at a research institution. The research question may be focussed on a fundamental biological process, or be designed to test and refine production techniques or instrumentation. The specialization is intended to give a solid background for students who wish to work in aquaculture or related industries, or to pursue further research.
Aquaculture industry, food production, government regulatory bodies, research in aquaculture and nutrition, teaching, coastal resources management.
On completion of the aquaculture biology study specialization, students will be able to:
- Understand of the role of aquaculture for global commerce, health, and food security
- Understand the biology of relevant aquaculture species, and explain the different life history stages and their requirements in aquaculture
- Understand the biological basis (molecular, endrocrinological, cellular, nutrition) for the control of growth and development of aquaculture species
- Discuss the balance between requirements for environmental quality, ethics, legal governance, and the requirements of commercial production in aquaculture.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesBiology Marine Studies View 18 other Masters in Biology in Norway
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- In order to apply for the Master Programme in Biology, you need a bachelor degree in biology or related field. You must hold a minimum of:
- 80 ECTS in biology, which must cover the following fields: zoology, botany, microbiology, cell biology, genetics, molecular biology, physiology, evolution and ecology
- 20 ECTS in chemistry, whereof 10 ECTS must include lab work
- 10 ECTS in statistics
- 10 ECTS in mathematics (excluded in GPA calculation)
- Bachelor degree in Biology,
- Bachelor degree in Sustainable Aquaculture,
- Bachelor degree in Environment and Resources (Natural Sciences specialisation, Biology track)
International12863 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12863 USD per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 24 months.
The semester fee is NOK 590. NON EU students: NOK 128 887 (USD 12 863) per year.
Living costs for Bergen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.