If you're looking for a rewarding career where you can make a positive difference to other people's lives, teaching is a great choice – and on our PGCE courses, you'll gain you the skills and confidence you need to become an outstanding secondary school teacher.
On this course, you'll be supported by our tutors and school-based mentors as you learn to plan and deliver lessons with strong subject knowledge, confidence and imagination, while reflecting on what it means to teach. You can study full time over 1 year, or part time over 2.
We've got excellent links with many schools in the region – so when you finish your course, you'll graduate with excellent career prospects, and eligibility for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) too.
On this course, you'll:
- Develop your teaching skills through practical activity and the study of theories and contemporary issues in education
- Share your experience and learn from other students through lectures and seminars
- Learn key teaching skills, including lesson planning, classroom management, and special needs and inclusion
- Develop your subject-based knowledge
- Get work experience in a teaching placement, where you'll work closely with mentors and other school staff
- Study a range of topics including pedagogy and practice based research; lesson planning; behaviour management; assessment, and special education needs and inclusion
Careers and opportunities
Once you graduate, you'll be ready to start your teaching career. Over 90 per cent of Portsmouth PGCE graduates go into full-time teaching, and once you're an established teaching professional, you'll have opportunities for further career progression in roles including year head and subject leader.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Classroom Practice in Secondary Teaching – 30 credits
- Reflective Practice in Secondary Teaching – 30 credits
- The Development of The Professional Secondary Teacher – 30 credits
- The Professional Secondary Teacher – 30 credits
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 346 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject, with a minimum of 50% content in an appropriate modern foreign language. Alternatively, native speakers require excellent communication skills in English. A second language to A level (or equivalent standard) in French, German or Spanish. Applicants offering only one foreign language are able to complete a short intensive Enhancement Course in French in order to achieve sufficient competence to teach a second language accurately and confidently at secondary level to at least Key Stage 3. GCSE Mathematics and English language at grade C (Grade 4) or above, or equivalent. All shortlisted applicants are subject to interview. All offers are subject to Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance and Occupational Health clearance.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.