The Urban Governance programme at Erasmus University Rotterdam provides courses and training in real life settings giving an opportunity to learn and practice scientific and managerial skills. It includes a variety of teaching methodologies aimed at interaction between teachers and students, between students and practitioners and between students themselves.
Next to general lectures given by leading scholars in the field, pedagogical games such as action planning, fieldwork and excursions are part of the teaching methods.
The courses provide the most recent theoretical and empirical insights in urban governance.
Practical and professional skills are developed in the urban governance labs, including working group sessions and seminars. Inspirational guest lectures enable a knowledge and experience transfer from experts in the field. The urban governance labs are further used to build group identity among the students.
After completing this master track you are able to analyse urban governance issues and processes. You know how to design interactive governance strategies to tackle urban issues and to act as a broker and advisor in urban development projects. You are educated to organise and manage the necessary processes to tackle these problems and develop solutions.Possible positions
Graduates will be suitable candidates for positions as a:
- member of a project team that works on large urban development projects (such as city center restructuring, the extension of a city’s port area or the regeneration of deprived neighbourhoods);
- government official working on urban strategies (e.g. dealing with climate change, citizen initiatives, sustainable energy, social innovation) and urban planning at the local, regional or national level;
- government or private party official working in public-private partnerships on increasing urban sustainability;
More informationVisit official programme website
- Urban governance
- Governing global economic growth and innovation
- Policy innovation in complex systems
- Working groups urban governance lab
- Strategic public management
- Managing interactive governance
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesSustainable Development International Business Public Policy View 37 other Masters in International Business in Netherlands
You are eligible for admission to the programme if you have obtained a relevant Bachelor’s or undergraduate degree (comparable to the Dutch academic level according to the standards of the Dutch Organisation for International Cooperation in Higher Education (Nuffic)) from a research university in the following fields of studies:
- Public Administration;
- Political Science;
A Bachelor’s degree in other disciplines related to public administration and societal processes, such as economics, environmental sciences, urban management/planning and urban studies may give access to Urban GovernanceProof of English proficiency
International14900 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14900 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2083 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2083 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
For the applicants of the various degree programmes of Erasmus School of Social and Behavioural Sciences at Erasmus University Rotterdam the following funding possibilities are available:
- Tuition waivers for excellent non-EEA applicants. Opens external
- Holland Scholarship for excellent non-EEA applicantsOpens external.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.