The programme in Film and Media Studies at the University of Copenhagen is a blend of elements from the humanities and the social sciences, building on a theoretical, analytical and historical foundation as well as incorporating the more practical aspects of media production and communication.
Having completed the Film and Media Studies programme, you will be able to apply relevant narrative, aesthetic and psychological theories in the analysis of the effects used in films, TV and digital media. You will also be able to conduct analyses of the functions of audiovisual media in society.
Moreover, you will learn to plan and carry out analyses of various types of media organisations and user groups. Finally, the programme will provide practical skills within audiovisual communication for the current media landscape.
- The Master's degree provides a range of different career options. You may find employment within the film, TV, advertising and IT industries or the communication sector. Moreover, you will be qualified to work as a teacher or as a member of information and PR staff.
- During the second year of the programme, you have the opportunity to choose between various elective courses (offered in the programme, in other fields of study at the university or abroad) or find an internship.
- In this way you will be able to tailor your studies to your own interests, and you can thus go for a broad focus aimed at employment in different job functions, or for a narrower professional profile aimed at employment within particular fields of work.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Design and Empirical Methods
- Digital Media Structures and Creative Film and Media Industries
- Film Theory and Analysis: Film, TV and Digital Storytelling
- Media Theory and Analysis: Digital Media Cultures, Networks and Society
- Optional subjects: Elective study, elective course or academic internship
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission to the master's degree programme in Film and Media Studies requires at minimum successful completion of a recognised university degree equivalent in level to a Danish bachelor's degree.
- Provided you have completed a bachelor’s degree, or are enrolled in the final semester of a bachelor’s degree programme, you are eligible to apply for the MA in Film and Media Studies.
- In order to qualify for admission, applicants are also required to fulfil the English language requirement.
International12608 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25217 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.