- The Art Therapy course from University of Derby is approved and accredited by the Health and Care Professions Council, and recognised by the British Association of Art Therapists.
- Graduate with the eligibility to apply for professional registration as an art therapist or art psychotherapist with the Health and Care Professions Council, as long as you meet the HCPC’s requirements.
- Become eligible to apply for full membership of the British Association of Art Therapists.
- Gain first-hand, practical experience of clinical art therapy practice.
- Develop your clinical reasoning and professional identity, and integrate your learning from all areas of the course through Independent Scholarship
- See some examples of the imagery our students created as part of their independent scholarship that formed the MA Art Therapy Exhibition 2020; and imagery from our MA in Art Therapy annual environment sculpture project - Big Wood.
The course can lead you to a career in areas such as mental health, education, the prison service, social services and the voluntary sector, as well as in private practice (following gaining additional post training clinical experience), and increasingly, in business.
If you successfully complete the Masters degree in Art Therapy, you will be eligible to apply for professional registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) as an art therapist or art psychotherapist, as long as you meet the HCPC’s requirements, and also for full membership of the British Association of Art Therapists (BAAT).
The course is approved and accredited by the Health and Care Professions Council, and recognised by the British Association of Art Therapists.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Art Therapy Studio Practice
- Art Therapies Theory and Research in Relation to Practice One
- Art Therapy Clinical Placement One
- Art Therapy Experiential Group
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Psychology Complementary & Alternative Medicine View 831 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Derby and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
To apply for this course you are required to have completed an undergraduate degree, either:
- BA (Hons) Creative Expressive Arts, Health and Wellbeing
- a degree in the visual arts, or
- an undergraduate degree in other related areas, such as psychology, occupational therapy, social work, and nursing and have a sound current folio of artwork, or
- an equivalent professional qualification and extensive experience in a related field.
You will also need:
- around one year's full time (or equivalent) relevant experience which may include paid or voluntary work and experience gained through caring responsibilities in your personal life
- to be able to show you've got sufficient life experience and emotional maturity, as well as having the intellectual capacity, to cope with the demands of the course
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14700 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
UK £950 per 20 credits
Living costs for Derby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.