The Masters in Writing at the University of South Wales involves two elements – a writing project and a critical study based on research into published writers’ work. You will get academic guidance during the weekend residencies.
Guest writers at Masters residencies have included established names like Helen Dunmore, Andrew Davies and Michael Morpurgo, as well as new emerging talents and industry professionals.
Graduates can become published writers in their chosen medium or find work as critics, journalists or writing educators. The MPhil also offers a valuable qualification for those wishing to enhance their career prospects in publishing, editing and teaching, or proceed to PhD study.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- There will be a cohort of eight or nine students in each year. You will need to spend about 18 hours studying and writing per week and will be assigned a personal supervisor who will guide and direct your progress by distance learning means, using e-mail, phone or post as appropriate.
- Previous students have been based in the UK, the USA and continental Europe. Each year, you need to attend three two-day writing residencies at the University (Friday and Saturday).
- These sessions include intensive workshops, personal tutorials, and visits by writers and professionals offering practical insights into the publishing world.
- Between your first and second year of study, you will also take part in a five-day writers’ week at Ty Newydd in North Wales, the last home of Lloyd George, situated on the Llyn Peninsula on the edge of Snowdonia National Park.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesCreative Writing General Studies & Classics Literature View 116 other Masters in General Studies & Classics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A minimum 2:1 Honours degree in an arts subject is the standard requirement, but we consider it more important that you can demonstrate the practical and imaginative potential to complete a book with a portfolio of work, backed up by a clear scheme of research.
- All applications must include two references on headed paper from your referees which should be uploaded as a supporting document. Please note, we can not accept applications without these two references. At least one referee should be able to comment on your academic/professional ability. References provided by relatives are not acceptable.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
National3800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3800 GBP per year during 48 months.
- Part-time INT: TBC
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.