The Clinical and Developmental Psychopathology - Research programme from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam gives you the opportunity to work on theoretical and practical problems, through varied learning activities and settings. In a small-scale teaching environment, you’ll learn about the etiology, development and course of psychopathology, as well as cutting-edge psychologically informed methods for its prevention and treatment.
This challenging programme, for talented and motivated students, offers an extensive study of the origins of mental health.
The best researchers in the field present high-quality teaching on the latest insights into the relationships between mental health, biological endowments and environmental resources, the neuropsychological substrate and human relationships, and adaptive and maladaptive developmental pathways.
Pursue an academic career or start working
As a graduate from the Clinical and Developmental Psychopathology programme, you’re highly likely to find work as a researcher in positions at universities and research institutes, but especially in roles that bridge the gap between universities and mental health services.
After completing your degree, you’ll be in an excellent position to get to work on your PhD, addressing questions on epidemiology, etiology, diagnosis, courses, treatments and outcomes of psychopathology, as well as mental health service planning and evaluation. You might also be involved in translational research conducted in the field or in applied research centres.
All Master’s degree programmes of VU Amsterdam are accredited by NVAO (Nederlands-Vlaamse Accreditatieorganisatie), the accreditation organisation of The Netherlands and Flanders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- In your first year, your courses will focus on the integration of clinical and developmental perspectives of psychopathology. You’ll gain a thorough theoretical understanding of the developmental origins of mental health and the clinical presentation of disorders.
- In your second year, you’ll deepen your knowledge of mental health even further. The first two courses focus on clinical research skills and the application of research in applied and basic neuroscience. The neuroscientific approach to mental health focuses on the relationship between brain and behaviour.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPsychology Health Sciences Clinical Psychology View 18 other Masters in Clinical Psychology in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Psychology or Education
- Related academic bachelor’s degree (approved by the admissions committee)
- Completed introductory level course in clinical diagnosis and assessment of mental health problems and risks
- GPA of 7.5 (e.g. B) or higher, with an 8 (B+) or higher for your final thesis
- A satisfactory result in the entrance assignment (see below)
- Proven proficiency in English
- A written motivational letter, explaining the choice for this Research Master
- Two letters of recommendation from a professor of the university at which the applicant has undertaken the primary degree
- A personal interview may be part of the application procedure if the committee judges it necessary
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16830 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16830 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.