Psychology plays a huge role in behaviour in sport, exercise, and performance environments by helping – or preventing – people from achieving optimal health and performance.
In this Sport and Exercise Psychology (BPS accredited) programme from the University of Portsmouth you’ll benefit from teaching unique to Portsmouth, including the psychology of elite performance and applied sport psychology, develop knowledge and skills that are critical to practitioners, and study key themes in the psychology of exercise and physical activity.
- This is the first course in the country to offer dual British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES) and British Psychological Society (BPS) accreditations.
- Learn from our team of BPS chartered psychologists and BASES accredited sport and exercise scientists who are experienced in research and applied practice in sport and exercise psychology
- Benefit from modules unique to Portsmouth such as the Psychology of Elite Performance and Applied Sport Psychology to get outstanding preparation and insight into becoming a practitioner psychologist
- Study a broad range of course work suitable for careers in healthcare, elite sport, education, professional sports clubs and the military
- Use our psychology laboratory with specialist equipment, including a ASL (Applied Science Laboratories) mobile eye-tracking and PLATO Liquid Crystal Spectacles, to test how quickly performers respond to visual or auditory cues
- Benefit from our links with UK Sport and the Fuchs Foundation
- Enjoy access to our outstanding new Ravelin Sports Centre, designed to be one of the UK’s most sustainable sports facilities
Careers and opportunities
This British Psychological Society (BPS) accredited Master's course will enable you to continue to study towards Chartered status.
You'll also have the transferable skills for careers in other sectors, like business, the police or the armed forces.
Graduates of this course have gone onto roles such as:
- Performance Director
- Personal Trainer
- Psychological Well-being Practitioner
- Sport Psychologist
- Senior Programme Officer
- Corporate Partnerships Executive
- Operations Manager
- General Manager
- Research Officer
Graduates of this course have gone on to work for companies such as:
- Football Association
- Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club
- Great Britain Hockey
- LED Leisure Management
- Solent NHS
- Hampshire County Council
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Topics in Skill Acquisition
- Applied Sports Psychology
- Msc Research Development and Practice
- Psychology of Elite Performance
- Psychology of Exercise and Physical Activity
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesSports Management Health Sciences Sports Sciences View 368 other Masters in Sports Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An upper second class honours degree or equivalent in a Sport and Exercise Science, Psychology, Sports Psychology or related subject. Alternative qualifications will be considered on a case by case basis.
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.