Why to study
The photonics industry plays an essential role in areas such as information and communication technology, lighting and manufacturing, image analysis, security, defense, space, life sciences and medical technology. The industry being active in these fields has an extraordinary demand for highly qualified professionals.
The University of Eastern Finland's Master’s degree in Photonics gives students good expertise to modern optics and photonics at both theoretical and experimental level. This contains ability to understand optical phenomena, design and analysis of optical systems, fabrication methods of photonics structures, and ability to scientific and technical communication in photonics.
This all gives capability to work in photonics related companies as an expert and developer, and to continue to PhD studies on photonics. The education is based on high-quality photonics research in the department.
Photonics is the future technology that focuses on the generation, detection, and management of light, enabling the use of light in different areas that are essential to society and the economy.
- General studies
- Laboratory practices
- Waves and scattering
- Light and Matter
- Displays, Colors, and Applications
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics General Engineering & Technology View 59 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in Finland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Eastern Finland and/or in Finland, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- You are required to submit the following educational documents for the degree that you use as a basis for eligibility:
- The scanned copy of the original degree certificate (in the original language) and an English, Finnish or Swedish translation of the degree certificate
- The scanned copy of the original transcript of records (in the original language) and an English, Finnish or Swedish translation of the transcript of records.
- If the degree you use as a basis for eligibility to Master’s degree studies consists of studies completed at multiple institutions, for example a Higher National Diploma (HND) and a one-year Bachelor’s degree, you must submit educational documents that cover all your studies.
International8000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Joensuu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.