Rather than presenting just one of the disciplines used in the field, this postgraduate Drug Design and Biomedical Science course from Edinburgh Napier University , unique in Europe, blends the subjects you need - biomedicine and pharmaceutical science - into one comprehensive course that focuses on the integration of modern organomedicinal chemistry and molecular biology.
You’ll study various steps involved in developing and creating effective drugs, from concept to clinic, including the theories and practical applications of chemical drug design and immunology, pharmacology and molecular biology.
Learning will be based on emergent technology from academic research and how it is applied to the drug development process, identification of drug targets, and development of effective drugs via reference to the relevant biological systems and pathways.
- Drug discovery and/or drug design
- A laboratory-based career with global pharmaceutical companies, developing biotechnology companies, contract drug testing, hospitals, NHS, local government or health and safety divisions
- Further studies at PhD level are available at institutions all over the world leading to an academic career.
This course provides the knowledge, understanding and practical experience you’ll need to forge a rewarding career in research and development in the pharmaceutical, bioscience or healthcare sectors. You’ll develop in-depth understanding of disease processes and molecular targets and an ability to apply this knowledge and theory to key aspects of drug design and biomedical science.
Equipped with the ability to follow developments in the field, you’ll learn to apply them to your work and make innovative contributions to the industry that will benefit others. Complex issues often arise in this field: you’ll acquire the skills necessary to make informed judgements and effectively communicate decisions.
There is an emphasis on developing your practical laboratory skills with various opportunities for hands-on experience in a range of current techniques and practices. In your final trimester you’ll undertake an independent project within a vibrant biomedical or drug design research team, allowing you to apply and further develop your technical, research and professional skills. There may be the opportunity to conduct your research project externally in a relevant organisation or industry in the UK or overseas.
You’ll also develop key skills including communication, problem solving, team work, project management, and leadership.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Immunology
- Biotechnology and Drug Discovery
- Current Practice in Drug Development
- Drug Design and Chemotherapy
- Molecular Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Quality Control & Pharmaceutical Analysis
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- You can apply all year round
DisciplinesBiomedicine Human Medicine Bioinformatics & Biostatistics View 276 other Masters in Biomedicine in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- The entry requirement for this course is a Bachelor (Honours) Degree at a 2:2 or above, or equivalent.
- We look for applicants to have a background in bio-molecular sciences such as biological sciences, biotechnology, biomedical sciences, chemistry, pharmacology, pharmaceutical or medicinal chemistry, biochemistry, immunology, genetics, virology, molecular biology, forensic science in order to be eligible for the programme.
- We may also consider lesser qualifications if you have sufficient relevant work experience.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17370 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17370 GBP per year during 12 months.
National6720 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6720 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Republic of Ireland £6,720
- Overseas and EU £17,370
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.