One of only a small number of postgraduate lighting design courses in the world, this Lighting Design programme from Edinburgh Napier University explores the use of light in interior and exterior spaces, and light as a medium for creative practice. You’ll learn combined technical and creative skills and to apply lighting design principles.
Part of the MA/MFA Design Suite, the course benefits from bringing together designers from a range of disciplines into core modules, as well as modules specific to your chosen pathway such as 'Creative Lighting Design for Places and People' and 'Design for Heritage and Culture'.
Well-designed lighting can transform a place or a space, and greatly enhance the user experience.
The MA Lighting Design will develop your skills and knowledge in the use of light and projection in designed spaces. You will learn how to exploit natural light, but also enhance interior and exterior spaces with the use of artificial lighting systems and art projections.
You will explore different lighting types and qualities, and learn how to select appropriate lighting for the right setting. You will develop technical understanding of state-of the art hardware, as well as the use of more simple technical solutions to lighting spaces.
Graduates from this programme pathway can pursue careers in:
- interior and spatial design
- lighting design
- urban design
- exhibition and museum design
- installation art
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Spatial Lighting Design
- Design for Heritage & Cultural Spaces
- Light Art & Projection
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- To ensure there is sufficient time to process your application, we encourage you to submit your application by 31st July.
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Interior Design View 524 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- The entry requirement for this course is a Bachelor (Honours) Degree at 2:2 or above in an art & design or related discipline (architecture, creative computing & engineering design)
- We may also consider lesser qualifications if you have sufficient professional work experience within the industry.
- All candidates are interviewed with a portfolio of creative work or technical/business projects. Applicants from overseas can be interviewed by teleconference with an online portfolio.
- We welcome applications from students studying a wide range of international qualifications.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16075 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16075 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National8040 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8040 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Republic of Ireland - part time total fee: £7,810
- Overseas and EU - part time total fee: £15,490
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.