You'll spend your first year at University, studying issues and theories related to the lived experience of education wherever it takes place, including schools, colleges, universities and professional training programmes. Guided by an expert team with direct sector experience, you'll assess the elements that influence educational outcomes for students of all ages, from teaching to family dynamics, plus sociological, political and cultural factors.
In Year 2, it's time to apply what you've learned on a professional experience placement, such as at a school, college, early years setting, local authority or private enterprise delivering learning and teaching.
If you're new to education, you'll gain invaluable experience for the next stage of your career. As a teacher, manager or researcher already working in the sector, you'll strengthen your skills and develop new ones in a fresh practice environment.
You'll graduate with the high-level academic skills and real sector expertise to work towards educational reform in a senior role, such as in educational policy and services, pedagogy, learning support or research.
- Spend 12 months working in a real educational setting, such as a school, early years environment or local authority team, applying your learning and building a professional network
- Learn to demystify the practices and experiences surrounding education, learning and teaching – from the changing purpose of education and educational psychology, to the ways in which policy and practice influence the lives of students
- Be taught and supported by an expert academic team active in educational research and education practice, from early years to further and higher education
- Join a diverse cohort of students from the education sector and share perspectives on international approaches and attitudes to teaching and learning
- Boost your transferable skills, including critical thinking, research, anti-discriminatory practice, and project management
- Maximise the impact of your research dissertation by relating it to an area meaningful to you, such as your own educational institution and role, special educational needs (SEN), or a social issue that affects the way students learn
Careers and opportunities
Education is one of the most effective routes to worldwide social mobility and economic growth, yet many factors and inequalities still affect students' experience. This Master's in Education Studies (with Professional Experience) will prepare you to become a thought leader in the sector with the capacity and agility to respond to these issues.
Once you graduate, you'll have the theoretical knowledge and educational practice experience to pursue leadership or senior roles in social and community education, private enterprise, school improvement, policy-making, pedagogy, mentorship, consultancy, research or learning support.
Graduates of this course have gone on to roles such as:
- Education mental health practitioner
- Lecturer in Education
- Research assistant
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Approaches to Education Studies - 30 credits
Contemporary Perspectives in Education Studies - 30 credits
Disseration - 60 credits
Research Methods in Education - 30 credits
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesEducation Educational Leadership View 796 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A second-class honours degree in a Social Sciences or other relevant subject, or the subject specialism and professional experience of a qualified teacher now wishing to pursue the MA Education Studies. Applicants with pre-existing Masters credits will be considered for RPL depending on the direct relevance of prior study to the MA Education Studies course.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.