We are a comprehensive school counseling program that leads to licensure by the Tennessee State Department of Education as a School Counselor. Most schools require that counselors they hire be licensed or certified as school counselors by the state in which they are employed. Our academic program meets or exceeds the academic requirements for school counseling for all state departments of education and the United States Overseas Dependents Educational program. Within the Counseling-School Counseling program students learn counseling skills and develop competency to implement developmentally driven, evidence supported, school counseling programs aligned to The American School Counselor Association's National Model ®. Graduates of our program at University of Memphis have the course work and skills to immediately operate effectively at any grade level they are assigned.
Program objectives are:
- comprehension of concepts and theories underlying the profession of counseling
- ability to collect, analyze, and interpret individual and group data, and to generate and test hypothesis related to human behavior
- ability to effectively counsel in both individual and group settings
- ability to formulate, implement, and evaluate appropriate counseling programs and interventions
- ability to understand and demonstrate ethical behavior and the legal and ethical implications of that behavior
- development of sensitivity and understanding of the needs of persons who are culturally different, including the ability to (a) examine attitudes and myths regarding the culturally different client and (b) the sociopolitical forces impacting the culturally different client.
- Group Counseling Process
- Theories Counseling
- Clinical Techniques
- Research Design and Methodology
- Principles School Counseling
- Crisis Intervention Counseling
- Multicultural Counseling
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Educational Psychology Counselling Psychology View 594 other Masters in Educational Psychology in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Memphis and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
Applicants must apply to the Graduate School and to the program. The Master of Science degree in Counseling is a limited access program; not all eligible candidates are admitted. To be considered for admission, applicants must provide:
- official undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts of all academic work completed,
- submit a Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score,
- complete a program admission application including appropriate goals essay,
- provide three letters of academic and/or professional reference,
- undergo an interview with the faculty.
International11340 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5670 USD per semester during 24 months.
National8796 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4398 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State6252 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3126 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Memphis
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.