Throughout the 1-year Social Design program from Maryland Institute College of Art, students will:
- Increase Social Literacy—Develop a deeper understanding of the issues of equity, power, race and privilege that exist at the heart of the social problems we aim to address.
- Deepen Design Literacy—Establish an ethical framework to guide personal practice and learn human-centered design methods to build empathy with and engage people in making and doing.
- Create Professional Pathways—MA in Social Design alumni are pioneering and innovative leaders in the public, private, non-profit, entrepreneurial and academic sectors. Click here for a snapshot of what our alumni are doing.
Who Should Apply
An ideal candidate for the M.A. in Social Design would be a professional, practitioner, or recent graduate who:
- believes design and the design process can, and should, play a role in advancing equity and social justice;
- can offer a unique perspective to the program;
- is prepared for a collaborative, immersive, hands-on graduate experience;
- is excited about and able to work collaboratively with different disciplines, knowledge bases, and points of view;
- is interested in developing and cultivating a personal point of view and approach to social design;
- has worked or studied in a relevant field including (but not limited to), design, architecture, business, writing, anthropology, sociology, public health, fine arts, engineering, environmental studies, non-profit, and more.
- Practice-Based Studio
- Social Design Studio
- Social Design Seminar
- Design Methodologies
- Design Literacies
- Social Literacies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Graphic Design View 124 other Masters in Graphic Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Graduate Admission Application Form: completed and submitted online
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- M.A. in Social Design Written Statement
- Two (2) Letters of Reference
- Proof of Degree or Equivalent
- Applicants should submit 18-20 digital images or time-based work for review online
- $75 Application Fee
- International candidates whose primary language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in both written and spoken English.
International51870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25935 USD per semester during 12 months.
National51870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25935 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Baltimore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.