This Translation programme at Queen's University Belfast has been designed to:
- Enable students to develop in-depth knowledge and understanding of the prevailing theories and practices of translation through intellectual and interactive enquiry and advanced translation practice;
- Provide grounding in the field of Translation Studies, defined as theory and practice, that will enable students both to undertake independent research and/or work as professional translators;
- Encourage sophisticated intellectual enquiry and debate with fellow students, academics and professional practitioners, drawn from a range of relevant backgrounds, through interrogation of theoretical models and analysis of practice-based work;
- Encourage students to develop professional translation skills and learn to theorise within the context of the discipline and their own practice;
- Provide students with a good knowledge of the translation market place;
- Foster a dynamic and innovative approach to translation as a mode for understanding the socio-political and cultural complexities posed by the movement of peoples and the demands of multi-lingual and multicultural organisations and societies;
- Equip students to use their writing talents to the best of their ability, and to develop as independent translators and self-reflective lifelong learners.
Careers in translation can be both highly intellectual and extremely rewarding in a practical sense. In addition to international organisations, translators can work in a range of roles in diverse companies or as freelance translators working for agencies and/or direct clients. Professional translation skills are valued in many areas of employment, notably banking and finance, politics, NGOs, publishing, libraries, arts venues, management consultancy, law, and jobs in engineering and manufacturing, due to their international client base. Translators are also required in a wide range of other activities and lines of work, including aiding police investigations and other security services, supporting migrant communities, conference proceedings, sports events, and governmental communications.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Audio-Visual Translation
- Literary Translation
- Principles of Community Interpreting
- Technical Translation
- Translation and Media
- The Accidental Translator: Non professional
- Translating for Performance
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Translation & Interpreting Linguistics View 115 other Masters in Translation & Interpreting in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Normally a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification acceptable to the University in a relevant subject.
- A 2.2 Honours degree or equivalent qualification acceptable to the University may be acceptable with relevant professional experience.
- Applicants with qualifications below 2.2 Honours degree standard may be considered if they can demonstrate a minimum of three years' relevant professional experience. The University's Recognition of Prior Learning Policy provides guidance on the assessment of experiential learning (RPEL).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18200 GBP per year during 12 months.
National6650 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6650 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Northern Ireland (NI) - £6,650
- Republic of Ireland (ROI) - £6,650
- England, Scotland or Wales (GB) - £7,470
- EU Other - £18,200
- International - £18,200
Living costs for Belfast
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.