Students electing the Creative Writing program at New Mexico State University choose a major genre: poetry or fiction, though classes in nonfiction, writing, screenwriting and others are offered. Students must complete 54 hours of graduate-level course work, submit a creative writing thesis, give a public reading from the thesis, and pass an oral examination.
Our mission is to emphasize the creation and critical analysis of literature, so that our students can be part of the national conversation about writing, graduating with a publishable manuscript. By providing our students with a set of skills, we prepare them to contribute to their communities as writers, publishing professionals and teachers.
- Workshop: Advanced Writing Prose
- Workshop: Advanced Writing Poetry
- Workshop: Advanced Writing Playwriting
- Creative Writing Workshop: Fiction
- Graduate Study in a Literary Form or Genre
- Advanced Creative Writing: Nonfiction Prose
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing Literature View 391 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A graduate international student must hold at minimum a four year bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and is able to demonstrate English proficiency, both written and oral by submitting an official TOEFL or IELTS score report.
- Graduate School will require transcript evaluations as part of the application process.
International19032 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19032 USD per year during 36 months.
National19032 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19032 USD per year during 36 months.
In-State6189 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6189 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Las Cruces
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.